hf1

HELP!!! updated

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: HELP!!!

Postby Mareth » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:29 pm

I find that Rhys' wee smeels REALLY bad when he's teething. Very very strong. If you don't have a rinse on your machine (we have an indesit moon which doesn't have anything other than a 30deg wash, a 30deg delicates wash, a 40deg and a 60deg) could you maybe put on an extra was at the end using whatever is your coolest shortest wash and just not put any detergent in? Also what detergent are you using?

ETA: we find that teething can affect his wee for just 1 day and then suddenly everything's back to normal.

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:33 pm

ecover

I hate washiing them so much, we've done like 5 washes just in a few days, I miss my american washer

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I do it the other way round, a cold rinse first then a hot wash at 60 degrees with a small amount of detergent. I did have a problem with whiffy nappies before I started using this approach - before I just washed them all at 40 with no rinse first

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Ecover really is not good for nappies unfortunately - it builds up really really easily and can cause smells... How many mls are you putting in?

Wash them using no more than a tablespoon of detergent if you're using a liquid, with 1/2 to 1 cup of soda crystals (dri-pak soda crystals, all supermarkets sell them, they're usually in a green packet) and put a splosh of white (distilled) vinegar in the fabric conditioner compartment...

Do a cold rinse (or a very quick short cold wash with no detergent) first always as hot temperatures set the smell in.
Then do a wash at 60 degrees (should be 60 if baby is under 6months)
And then do another rinse if you notice bubbles when your washing machine does the rinse cycle.

ALWAYS do a full cottons wash cycle - never use quick wash for nappies...

If this does not work it means you aren't using enough detergent so like Tanya said do a wash with a full dose of detergent and then wash until there are no bubbles left, but be warned it can take a LONG time (lots of rinses) to rinse all the detergent out...

It is also okay to occasionally use a tablespoon or two of bicarbonate of soda (good for getting rid of smells) in the wash cycle, but don't do it regularly as it can be bad for elastic and PUL.

I hope that helps a little.

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:17 pm

I was told ecover was ok :(

We're using about 1/3 of a cap

Did a 60 wash then a 40 since some were still new. Just the snap in's

My washer sucks there is no cold rinse, just a cold wash which is an hour.

tons of advice but what should I do :(

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Change detergent. Ecover seriously sucks at cleaning nappies and doesn't smell very nice either :(

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:25 pm

:? :? :? I seem to remember that the gist of this thread where you asked for help was that ecover was not good for nappies and likely to leave you with whiffy nappies and it's also not good for your washing machine...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13362

I think you yourself posted a link to a website that indicated ecover shouldn't be used to wash nappies :? :? :?

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:27 pm

a few said they used it and the cloth nappy shop said to use it, it's all I have until I get something else

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Which nappy shop?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat