hf1

whats them woolen things you can knit like wraps

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

whats them woolen things you can knit like wraps

Postby babyjjbaby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:16 pm

hehe i can't rember lol and want to find a pattern to knit them and also how do they work thansk :lol:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: whats them woolen things you can knit like wraps

Postby Frances » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Soakers, shorties or longies. Once they're lanolised, they act as a water resistant barrier for fitted nappies. There's a lot more info in the Pure Wool section.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:31 pm

ahh right what is teh difference between them and what do u use to make the water resitent thanks i have bene looking all night but am lost lol and confuzzled i am thinking of making them and selling them on ebay hence trying to find out about them thanks

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Soakers are the smallest ones, they are a similar size to nappies. Shorties are shaped like shorts. Longies are trousers.
You make them water resistant by lanolising them - soaking them in warm water with some lanolin melted in, plus a splash of baby shampoo. There's lots more info about this in Pure Wool.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:41 pm

ahh right think it was the soakers i was thinking about like a wrap what is lanolising ? sorry where is the real wool bit of the site i only just joined

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:53 pm

The wool section can be found here: viewforum.php?f=63

The WAHM section can be found here: viewforum.php?f=24

The WAHM guidelines are here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 pm

babyjjbaby wrote:ahh right what is teh difference between them and what do u use to make the water resitent thanks i have bene looking all night but am lost lol and confuzzled i am thinking of making them and selling them on ebay hence trying to find out about them thanks

If you arent a fast and experienced knitter, you might be able to follow a simple soaker pattern, but to be honest it would take quite a bit of practice to be at a standard where you could sell the soakers. Im quite a fast knitter, but it would still take me at least a day to knit a soaker, and I wouldnt dream of selling things I make and I took up knitting again over a year ago (and knitted for years when I was younger). And with the price of wool and your time, you wouldnt make much money, honestly, perhaps 50p to a £1 an hour - most work at home mums who knit would tell you that themselves.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:14 pm

no i don't think i can sell them now tbh didn't realise how expensive the natural wool was its not so much about the money its about i enjoy knitting and can't keep knitting stuff and keeping it as i have far too much stuff

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat