hf1

are reusables definitly more enviromentally friendly

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: are reusables definitly more enviromentally friendly

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon May 04, 2009 8:42 pm

sorry don't know what you mean about gettign th enappies from the shop or tip ? :-?

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 pm

babyjjbaby wrote:sorry don't know what you mean about gettign th enappies from the shop or tip ? :-?

The carbon emisions of the transport you use from the supermarket / then the dustcart carrying the disposables away again v. the better option :wink:

But then there is always the thought of trying to buy nappies made in the UK v abroad.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon May 04, 2009 8:46 pm

The key thing for me is about being in control of your environmental impact - if you buy disposables then you have no control over any of the actions of the manufacturers, so in terms of materials used, energy consumed or methods of distribution. You also then have very little control over how they are disposed of.

If you use cloth then you can choose to use only natural organic materials, wash them at 40degrees and not tumble them, subsequently using them on another child would mean that the environmental impact would be minimal compared with disps. Many of us are not as eco as we could be - i.e. using manmade fabrics and doing pre-washes and rinses but this is far better than the oil and water consumption in disposable manufacturing.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon May 04, 2009 8:50 pm

yep its deffo made me feel better after having a woblly day today i don't do a pre wash neither as can't phisaclly do it in my machien and when i am at my ma's i dunno how to work the machine :roll: so ahve to put it on a quick wash which is 30 mins instead

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon May 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I had this conversation with a friend, who, having done no actual reserach on the subject herself, tried to convince me that cloth was worse for the environment than sposies. I agree with Annette: being eco isn't all about what you do, its more about the control you have of it. As well as trying to source locally made nappies at least some of the time, we also have many WAHMs who benefit, as opposed to multinational, unethical companies like pampers.

I usually wash nappies (and bedsheets and tea-towels) at 60 with an extra rinse if theres a lot in the machine, and everything else at 30. A small load of nappies with few poopy ones I'll do at 40. I'm happy enough to think that they balance each other out. I wouldn't do a 30min quick wash on nappies though, unless it was literally half a dozen, non-poopy nappies, as i dont think they'd be very well washed.

Gayle xx

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon May 04, 2009 10:28 pm

now i have to do a 3o min quick wash then the normal 50 minute wash at my ma's as i don't know how to just do a rinse but in my washign machien and spin dryer you can't do a sepereate rinse or a prewash and you can't in the laundretter nither

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue May 05, 2009 1:27 pm

oh, i understand now! if you can only do the 50 minute normal wash, then i wouldnt bother with a quick wash or prewash, provided the machine isnt too full they should get clean enough. i don't think ive ever done a prewash, and ive only just started doing extra rinses, but i dont think they're necessary unless ive used alot of washing powder.

Gayle xx

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 pm

ahh thanks i will do that from now on

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat