hf1

I think I've lost my nerve

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

I think I've lost my nerve

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi all, Austin is now 2 weeks old and we were supposed to be trying his cloth today for the first time but I put on his Itti and had to take it off straight away as it was too big on the legs but too small on the waiste and I could see it just wasn't going to suit him at all, the problem is I now don't think I have the nerve to try out any of the others I have and I'm thinking of just getting rid of the lot and carrying on with the disposables!!
I just don't think I can do it!? Any advice/ encouragement appreciated.
:x

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: I think I've lost my nerve

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:33 pm

What others do you have? I am sure something would be a perfect fit. You can do it, sometimes it is easier to ease yourself in 1 or 2 per day or try it 100% to get into a washing and drying routine.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:41 pm

I bought loads of nappies whilst still preg and didn't start using them until she was 6 weeks old. I needed the time until then to get used to being a mummy and surviving the sleep deprivation.

Don't beat yourself up over using disposables - much as I would like to use cloth from birth on another baby, I suspect we would use sposies for a while. I would suggest you give yourself a few more weeks and then try again. Or, as Annette says, use a couple a day to find out what you do and don't like and to get used to them and then build it up from there.

:hug: :hug: No-one will think any the less of you because you aren't using cloth nappies. Motherhood is tough going, especially at the beginning, so relax and enjoy it. And if that means no cloth, so be it!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:43 pm

What other nappies have you got to try? Personally, I always preferred Iris in two parters when she was newborn.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 pm

The other nappies I have are terries, bamboozles and a few BTP ( BB, TB and BG) but I can see the BTP are just too bulky atm and tbh I'm sort of regretting ever buying the terries :x and everything was going so well!!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:33 pm

The terries can work really well, if you take a few mins out to fold the whole pile of them, they can be all ready to go and I always found they were a perfect fit. The jo fold would be my recommendation. The bamboozles should also work well and easy to use, if they seem too high, just fold down the front and nippa them.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:43 pm

Agree with Annette about being able to fold down the Bamboozles. I found BG to be a perfect fit on Iris even when she was under 1 week old. It's surprising how well they fit, TBH. :shock: Don't forget that you don't have to use the stuffings that come with particular pockets, if you think they'll be too bulky. You can add less stuffing for a trimer fit, although you'll obviously have less absorbency. They're probably worth trying on. You might be surprised. :)

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:48 pm

I didn't start Lucas in cloth until he was 5 or 6 weeks old, and Lili was probably 3 weeks old. Size 1 nappies seemed huge, and it didn't seem worth buying newborn ones that would only last a few weeks. :wink: Don't beat yourself up about it, just take a deep breath and try again in a couple of days!

My avatar
k-k-k-ktiow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby k-k-k-ktiow » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:00 pm

:hug: :hug: Lisa
The first nappy I put on Annie was at about 3 weeks and honestly I thought I'd never put her in another as it was SOOOO HUGE, that was a size 1 tots bots 2 parter fitted with aplix, when I laid her down the only thing touch the ground was her nappy! I waited until 6 weeks plus, infact first time she wore them was at night as no one would see her (I didn't buy any newborn cloth).
My advice would be try a bamboozle first thing in the morning when there's noone else around to see him look like a weeble! :giggle: :cry:
I agree with everyone else, don't beat yourself up, relax and enjoy the newborn weeks, they are gone in no time :-?
KT

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat