hf1

Newbie help - redness

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Newbie help - redness

Postby squidsin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:10 pm

My LO is 2 and a half weeks old and we're getting on pretty well with his cloth nappies but I've noticed he's a little red round his waist and the top of his legs (where the nappy elastic is, basically), which worries me. He's mainly wearing OneLife/ME one size btp with an ME wrap, or BumGenius, both of which work really well apart from this. He's on the smallest settings as he's small! What am I doing wrong or is this normal? He doesn't seem sore or distressed at all. I've put a little barrier cream on him now but I've heard this can ruin cloth nappies, and I am not sure he actually needs it anyway. Any help very gratefully received!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Newbie help - redness

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi, congrats on your little one!! :wine:

My son is 9 weeks old and we get the red marks aswell, im not sure about you but with Ds becuase his waist is so scrawny and little I have to do the nappies up pretty tight and then he gets red marks, especially with the BG's which even when i do them up tight the legs still gape a little and he also gets red marks...

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby squidsin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Yup that's exactly the same with my LO.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:33 pm

You might be better off with sized nappies, rather than one sized. OS are designed to fit such a wide weight range, that they're not always so good at the extremes.

It is possible that he's having a reaction to the elastic itself but from what you're saying, that doesn't sound likely.

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby squidsin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:18 pm

It's not an allergy, he's just a little red. I really like the nappies and they do work well - and just now when I changed him, he was fine - so hopefully it's just a blip. I've got a couple of shaped nappies - diddy diapers and bamboozles - and I don't like them so much. Really want these to work out!

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:17 pm

I found this happened with my wee ones when they first went into cloth as well. I also used MEOS from about 3 weeks with my DS although I bought some tiny sized nappies for my DD for when she was tiny as I found the MEOS quite bulky on a newborn. Their skin is so thin and sensitive at that age it could just be his skin getting used to having a nappy on. I often found I didn't actually need to do the nappy up as tightly as I thought I did. I always tend to check that I can still run a finger around the elastic when putting the nappy on so it's not too tight.
Hope you find a solution and can go back to enjoying your wee fluffy bum.
Cathleen xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat