hf1

Can't decide on colours!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Can't decide on colours!

Postby JennyPenny » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi! Sorry to bother you all but I can't decide which to do! I want to dye some of my plain nappies. My Upsey daisy night nappies being the main ones. I have other nappies to do too though so don't mind doing a few colours. My choices are:

- Do all larges one colour and all mediums another colour and then M/L a completly seperate one. This would be great when I am taking them off the line as it would be so easy to see what insert is from what nappy, as it is hard to tell the difference sometimes, without comparing them all. BUT when I get more (always on the look out for them and trying to swap my WNNNs for some more UDNN) then it will be difficult to match them all again, without doing lots of seperate dying sessions, which is then expensive. And would mean that each baby has their own colour.

- Do them all different colours - just put a couple of UD nappies in with each dye wash so I have a variety. But then I would still have the issue of seperating the M to the M/L and the L! Lol. And then really I would have to use the right insert to the right nappy, rather than just grabbing which ever ones are dry.

And the other issue is that one of them has orange poppers and its hard to know if it would clash/ before they are dyed!

I know it is simple but I just can't decide!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Can't decide on colours!

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:29 pm

I'd go for all different colours for the colourful effect :D , can see your point about knowing which is which though! My MIL used to stitch a different coloured dot on her husband and sons socks so she'd know who they all belonged too . . . I'd probably make them sort their own :oops: but oculd you had a small stiched dot to your NN? Coulour coded for size!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 pm

I think lots of different colours would be funky! :D How about doing one size in bright colours and another size in pastel colours, or you could LWI dye some of them, or use some coloured thread to stitch a colour-coorinated dot on each nappy and insert?

I would love to get 6 or 7 white nappies and dye them all rainbow colours!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:40 pm

it depends how much effort you want to put in, but hand dyeing would be much cheaper, and you could have then all different, theres an ebay shop that sell procion dyes, you could get a starter set and dye all the nappies inc their inserts different colours, then they'b be reall easy to match, you could do themall songle colour lwi, tnat way you wouldn't have to worry about getting an even finish, it's really easy, i'd explain better if i weren't on my phone

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:21 pm

I wish I was brave enough to dye things!!
What size UD NN you looking for? :wink:

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:43 pm

gayleygoo wrote:I think lots of different colours would be funky! :D How about doing one size in bright colours and another size in pastel colours, or you could LWI dye some of them, or use some coloured thread to stitch a colour-coorinated dot on each nappy and insert?

I would love to get 6 or 7 white nappies and dye them all rainbow colours!

Whats LWI :oops:

Hanna - I am not too sure about hand dying! Think I would be too scared I would mess it up! Plus the machine dye has been sitting here for about 2 months and all I have to do is shove it in the machine! :oops:

Kirstyh wrote:I wish I was brave enough to dye things!!
What size UD NN you looking for? :wink:

What you got? HAve emailed UD to enquire about the sizing of the smalls (to know if we need medium or small for Talia) If Talia still fits into smalls then any size as she will grow into mediums and Elouise is in large! Elouise also has a M which I think is actually a M/L which she wears in the day! Ideally looking for soy though! Would possibly try a bamboo one to see what its like!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:24 am

lwi is low water immersion, can't be done with machine dyes, but you could tie dye with machine dyes, tie them in different ways to match the inserts

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:21 am

flutterby wrote:lwi is low water immersion, can't be done with machine dyes, but you could tie dye with machine dyes, tie them in different ways to match the inserts

[ Mobile Post ] Image

Are there any instructions anywhere? Sounds fab but sounds difficult! So I can use the dye I already have? The dylon machine dye?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:29 am

If you're tie-dying in the machine make sure you tie it REALLY REALLY tightly as the action of the machine tends to undo all but the most tightly done up ones...

There's no reason why you can't use different coloured inserts with the nappies is there? Funkier that way ;)

I like the idea of one colour per size - what machine dye colours do you have at the moment?

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat