How would you do this? **UPDATED**

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

How would you do this? **UPDATED**

Postby litlestar » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:36 am

Okay,
This seems to be the right place to discuss this kind of thing.

i've bagged some real bargains in the past few days and i'm eager to share them with my relatives (ie loan them some preloved nappies to try and convert them to cloth)

now i know one of the reason they didn't consider the cloth was the initial outlay. so i thought with my stash i could loan them some preloved nappies to trial and if they don't like them they haven't lost anything, if they do i can do some nappy shopping for them.

the reason i want to suggest to her this is they're strap for cash, and this would be my way of helping them out.

now i respect everyone parenting choices so i know this can interfere, so i was thinking about asking her how she felt about borrowing some of my used stock and get her the necessary bucket etc, show her how to use one and wash it etc then leave her to it.
i won't need them back til november (when Little one due) so 3 months ish is a good trail period. i just don't want her to think i'm getting in the way of her raising our nephew.
what do you ladies think, is it a good idea or should i just leave her be?
Last edited by litlestar on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: How would you do this?

Postby indigosky2k » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:45 am

IMO if you know they're open to the idea of cloth and you have the nappies not being used, at the mo :wink: then to offer a couple for them to try would be a nice thing. As you say the inital outlay can be a bit off putting if you think you may not get on with cloth, so a couple of nappies on a trial basis is a good introduction.

HTH and that you can convert you relatives to cloth :giggle:

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:16 am

By all means suggest it to them - though dont be surprised if they dont take to it like you are hoping.

I tried it with my SIL, she bought two brand new BG's off me when the V2 were on sale, and I even gave my niece a lovely WN pocket with insert for her 1st birthday. SIL said she was very interested, but last time we were at the IL's house (which is obviously a while back, but a long time after the birthday too) the BG's looked washed but not used and I dont think SIL ever tried to WN at all.

At least in your case you wont feel like you've wasted any money as they are borrowing some of your stash, but sometimes I really feel like asking SIL if I can buy the nappies off her again, just to that another person who does actually want to use cloth can. :roll:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:15 am

I agree, why not try? I'd just ask her if she'd be interested in trying cloth nappies, and say you could show her how it all works and explain the washing and everything. I probably wouldn't say anything about them being used in case that put her off, or if I did would say something like "they're not brand new, you can get nappies like this in nice condition for x amount." And while showing her how it works, chat a bit about the things you like best about cloth, but all in a positive way - i.e. don't be negative about sposies, just be positive about cloth (you like that it's natural fibres next to the skin, no chemicals, seems soft and comfy for the baby, sure it's a couple of extra loads of washing but it's also 2 fewer bin bags each week, and what's a couple more loads when you're already doing 6 or 8 or more each week?). Give it a go :mrgreen:, and don't be offended if she doesn't like it, at least you tried!

My avatar
k-k-k-ktiow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby k-k-k-ktiow » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:26 am

My sil gave me a huge bag of newborn and 0-3 clothes along with a bag of size 0 nappies and wraps to try. I think this was her clever ploy to get me into cloth by not scaring me off with the initial outlay :wink: . I then got the nappy loan from the council (you get a box of different types of nappy to use for 2 weeks) where I discovered bumgenius and the rest as they say is history :hohoho: I didn't find it offensive or patronising :D
KT

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:39 am

I would offer once, in passing, and then leave it for her to decide. It may be that she decides to leave it until the baby is a bit bigger.

mabo, that's such a shame that your sil didn't try those nappies.

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby litlestar » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:49 pm

well, i wanted to ask her in person, but i chickened out and asked her on the phone.

She seems game for it. :D

i did tell her they're already used - joked that it was the whole point of 'reusable' anyway and they're in good condition and i would wash them for her anyway. told her how much they cost me and she was shocked. i'm too honest for my own good sometimes!!

i am limited to med wrap as he is nearly 5 months now (i only have two), but told her i would get a bucket and come over and show her how to put them on an look after them (will give her instructions as i want them back in good condition too) and basically told her she has nothing to loose in trying them and i wouldn't be disappointed if she went back to sposies. but if she did like them then i could probably find her some bargains.

i'm going to find out how many nappies he goes through in a day and loan her twice the amount, they should dry overnight in her airing cupboard (its a huge walk in one that heats up with the hot water every night and stays warm for ages - their cats fav roost)

fingers crossed i might have a convert.

my our SIL is due anyday now, i might try and get her to trial my size ones, but she already has a tommee tipee nappy wrap thing with about 12 extra cartridges so she might be a bit harder to convert!

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:51 pm

Great, let us know how you get on!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:54 pm

litlestar wrote:but she already has a tommee tipee nappy wrap thing with about 12 extra cartridges so she might be a bit harder to convert!

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: I agree... Worth a try tho'! :wine:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat