Barrier Cream Question

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Barrier Cream Question

Postby litlestar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:37 am

Hi Ladies,
this might sound like a silly question but as #1 is on the way all this nappy stuff is still news to me.
I was talking to my mum the other day and she was raving about putting a barrier cream (ie sudocrem) on baby after every nappy change to prevent nappy rash. (baring in mind the last baby my mum had was 21 years ago)

I was curious whether as cloth nappy users you find it necessary to do this.

Thought i'd ask before buying shares in sudocrem :giggle:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Barrier Cream Question

Postby tanya » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:40 am

Not at all necessary. Just ensure the bottom is completely dry before putting a clean nappy on and change as soon after a poo as possible and you should be ok.

There are going to be times when creams are necessary - nappy rash is part of having a baby - but then you can use a small amount of a good cream to get rid of it quickly.

HTH

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:50 am

I dont use a barrier cream all the time, but if i do need to then i either use sudocreme or bepanthen and just make sure i use fleece liners to keep baby bum dry :) Also I wipe him dry with a cloth wipe after i have cleaned him...

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby jennyjanesharp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:23 am

I'm very glad to say that DD has never had even a spot of nappy rash, and i've never used any kind of barrier cream.
She started to get a bit 'whiffy' before i fully switched to cloth when she was 3 months old, and it's been plain sailing every since.

She did has a slight bit of ezxma at one point, on her top leg, and i used petroleum jelly on it for a day or two, and used bamboo nappies, and all was fine after that!

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:28 am

The only time sam has ever had nappy rash/redness is when he has done a poo and no-one has noticed so has been in it for a little time (sorry tmi :oops: ) then i find a little sudocrem and i use a paper liner to protect the nappy and its gone- this has happened maybe 5 times and 1 worse time when i needed it use it over a day or so when he had dia. We still have over half a tub from since when he ws born- so need to buy shares yet :giggle:

ETa- also agree with above- keeping the bottom dry is the most important thing- i usually use cloth wipes and water- but even if i use wet wipes i give him a dry with a cloth wipe afterwards

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:33 am

We have used sudocreme sparingly, mainly when Oliver has had dia. to prevent him from getting too sore. He was in disposables at the time as we didn't have enough nappies to cope!

I understand that if you get lots and lots of barrier cream on a cloth nappy, it might build up and prevent the nappy from being so absorbant, so using a paper liner would be a good idea to prevent this.

HTH

Kate x

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:32 am

We only had nappy rash when he was in 'sposies. Sudocrem didn't help and we needed Metanium (grim stuff but it works)
I bought a tub of sudocrem when pregnant but you get given a small trial size tub in the Bounty pack in hospital which IMO would be all you need to start with and then you could buy more if you need it.
As PP said if you change regularly and make sure your babies bum is dry before putting the clean nappy on that should help prevent rashes.
I also found that disposible wipes also made my LO bum sore, so much better now we use washable wipes with just plain water.

HTH

Joy

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat