hf1

Where Do I Start?........

My avatar
Frankie23
Clothie
Clothie

Where Do I Start?........

Postby Frankie23 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:57 pm

My LO is around the 15 pound mark and I am wanting to start using cloth nappies (better late than never).

I have no idea where to start? or how many I will need? or what would be best to get :x

The Jargon is confusing me

Can anyone help me out :|

My avatar
greenferret
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Where Do I Start?........

Postby greenferret » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 pm

The Cloth Nappy Information section on this site is a good place to start - will give you an idea of the different kinds of cloth nappies available and other info such as washing, other accessories etc. Also, there is a good review section here which will help you make your decisions. Each baby is different and suit different nappies, so buying pre-loved in the classifieds will avoid any big costly mistakes when trying different types :D

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:05 pm

With your LO being past the tiny stage it make life much easier nappying, you could go for a OS nappy, or sized but go straight for mediums or sz 2s.

I think 20-25 nappies minimum are necessary, I think you'll find most of the ladies here have alot more!

There's an abbreviation post, I'll find a link for you!

My avatar
Frankie23
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Frankie23 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks its the sizing which has been confusing me I shall nip along and check the other part out :hug:

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Sizes still confuse me! Some med/size 2s are bigger/smaller than others. DS is in Large for most things but the others he is only just a medium. :-?

The thing I found best is to read as many of the posts on here as references to certain nappies seem to be hidden in answers to specific questions. The 'whats your best nappy buy and why' is also useful as a starting point to cloth nappies. At least you then know what others regard as their 'best' nappies. Good luck and happy buying. :wine: to you imminent fluffy post.

My avatar
Frankie23
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Frankie23 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:32 pm

Thank you very much, I am liking the sound of the AIO - just got to find a make which will be suitable going to buy a few see how i fair up

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby jennyjanesharp » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 am

That's what i did when we first started! We ended up with all sorts, and then whittled it down to our favourite fits, sold the others on and bought those.
Only problem is, it's very addictive!!! :giggle: and DD's shape has changed so much over the past 5 months, that ww've bought and sold on LOADS!

I started liking fluffles with tots bots wraps
then bamboozles Little lambs
then moved onto minki's
and i loved HH's around the same time
Then I discovered itti's! and was also love UDSS's
Starting to fall off the wool wagon :giggle:
and now we're using fitted and wraps again for night time!!

I'm thoroughly addicted!!!!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm

It depends on your budget and your plans of how to dry them. Some fabrics (liek bamboo and hemp) can take days to dry but if you have - and dont mind using - a tumbledryer, then its not as much of a problem. Making sure you've got plenty of nappies usually helps this too.

If you dont have a tumbledryer (or dont want to use use it much, and lets face it they cost a fortune to run!) then you may be better suited to pocket nappies or cotton fitteds, as these tend to dry much more quickly. I've never had a tumbledryer and never found it a problem, but again, having plenty of nappies (at least 25, more if you can!) will help.

Popular pockets are Fuzzi bunz, weenotions pockets, wonderoos, upsy daisy nappies and there are plenty more. Those ones just tend to be very reliable and dont break the bank either (unless you get carried away with embroidery option on the WAHM sites!) and i like blueberry onesize inserts for most pocket nappies. Im not a fan of AIOs - tbh, there are very few that are reliable, and they're usually not that pretty either (if thats important to you at all). They can also take ages to dry and i think most people are better off with a reliable pocket nappy - they dont take long to stuff and they dry much more quickly.

For fitteds, my favourites are puddlekins, flutterby fluff, weenotions, upsy daisy, motherease onesize bamboo etc. Fitted nappies with a wrap or wool cover are more reliable than pockets, as they have 2 layers to protect against wee and poo leaks, and really arent as much hassle as you might think.

Some people are scared off by the "high cost" of WAHM made nappies but i find they are often superior to similar nappies made by commercial manufactuers, and the basic options arent usually much more expensive either.

There really is just so much choice! Have a look through the classifieds and you may find a few good bargains on there :wink:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Also, you might need liners (fleece or paper, i prefer fleece), nappy nippas and a nappy bucket (get the biggest one you can find!) Many cloth nappy users like to use wetbags too for out and about, or in an upstairs room. I dont have one though and ive never missed it. You might like to use washable wipes too, as they're handy enough if you're using cloth nappies anyway. 20-30 is usually enough and you could make them yourself if you wanted to. Tea tree oil is good to use in the nappy bucket and a big bottle will last ages. If you are using fitted nappies, you'll need at least 2 or 3 wraps/covers to go over them.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat