hf1

Why so muck leakage???Help!!

My avatar
vickie17
Clothie
Clothie

Why so muck leakage???Help!!

Postby vickie17 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 am

My ds is almost 2 and has always been a heavy wetter, but the older he gets , it gets worse. I don't know if it is the wraps I am using that are just rubbish, or whether his nappies just cannot cope!!

I am slowly changing over to hemp as I have tried a few Ellas Bumhuggers and they last much longer than an hour. He was in Tots Fluffles. But he is leaking through the wraps. I recently bought 2 new Thirsties wraps thinking maybe my old wraps were not waterproof anymore thanks to being washed in fabric softener(thankyou dear partner), but he leaks through the legs of the Thirsties in an hour???
I have bought the right size so am not sure where I'm going wrong. I never had this problem with ds1 as he never wee'd much!!

Any advice much wanted :wink:

Vickie

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Why so muck leakage???Help!!

Postby beck » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 am

It could be that your LO is starting to hold there wee and letting it out in one go and the nappies just cant cope with the flood. I've found Weenotion wraps the best as they are virtually leakproof.

My avatar
vickie17
Clothie
Clothie

Postby vickie17 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:04 am

Thank you, I think I will buy one to try!!

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 am

weenotions and motherease wraps are the best also if you are using fluffles don't forget that when compressed microfibre squishes out the wee

My avatar
vickie17
Clothie
Clothie

Postby vickie17 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:15 am

Yes ,I don't think Fluffles were my greatest choice, but they were so soft and made his bum so cute!!!

I'm really liking the Bumhuggers though!!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:24 am

Unfortunately fluffles aren't good for heavy wetters at all. When compressed the wee squishes out which is probably what is causing the leaks. Boosting them with hemp or bamboo should help or alternatively sell them on and buy some bamboo or hemp nappies. Wool is also far better than PUL as a wrap as it absorbs some of the moisture and lets it evaporate so the nappy won't be as wet.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 am

WSS

Also, may be a case of having to strip your nappies (full dose detergent on hot wash and then rinse until no bubbles in the drum) to elimate any detergent build up in them :)

xxx

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:08 pm

WTS I used a cotton tot once and honestly NEVER AGAIN :giggle: maybe it's a boy thing, we stick to the bamboozles now. Hope you find a solution soon.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Try tumble-drying the wraps for 10 minutes or so, it's magic. Useful now and again on older wraps to reseal the PUL, and sometimes on new nappies/wraps to close up any holes from sewing (especially around the bindings, which is where they tend to leak).

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat