hf1

Nursery wont use cloth :-( - Update

My avatar
mousenose
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Nursery wont use cloth :-(

Postby mousenose » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 am

paintedclaws wrote:Personally i wouldn't give them a choice, theyed use cloth on my child because thats what i use at home. They can't force you to provide disposables especially when they're inferior to lovely cloth.

I would stand my ground but also wouldn't give them a choice and would hit the roof if they tried to go over my head and put a disposable on my child if there was cloth available, i think a few people have had problems with hospitals and nursery's saying they don't use cloth because its unhygenic which is rubbish! The dirty nappies are sealed in a wetbag out of everyones way whereas the nappy bins are on the ground where little hands can get to them. If they insist on having nappy sacks then you can even get those which are washable (available from Babykind). Pocket nappies are really simple so they shouldn't have a problem with them because surely you'd have them set up and ready to put on just as a disposable would be.

I'd also be inclined to use cloth wipes just to prove a point but then i use those at home and if annoyed do become extremely stubborn. :wink:

Thanks, problem is yesterday when I was all emotional about leaving him for the first time i said, nappies in the bag, flush the liner and whack it in nappy bag. and she said they wouldnt use them i didnt question it but now thinking back on it then maybe i should force the issue. As I said I have only been using them for a couple of days so am not quite fully equipped. Use a bucket at home and put them in nappy sack went I went out. I have a wet bag on order though.

TBH i didnt even know if i provided nappies or if that was norm but to say that they wont use cloth so i will have to pay for sposies is dead cheeky i think. I am still using sposie wipes. Trying to do it all as cheaply as possible atm so phasing things in. :roll:

Rhead: It will be mondays wed and thursday so that should be ok. I will look into getting the pockets. I am selling my jumperoo on ebay and should get about £50 for that so that should be enough to get me set up with secondhand pockets or aio?

Lauren x

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 am

Refuse to buy sposies. What are they going to do then? Use your cloth nappies or buy sposies for your LO?

When I looked into a nursery for Bella, they said they would use cloth if we wanted, but if not, they would provide the sposies.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:51 am

I have to admit that we compromise a bit with nursery. I provide the nappies and a wetbag. They use disposable wipes and like to put the dirty nappies in a nappy sack and then into the wetbag. It does mean I have 3 or 4 nappy sacks to throw away each evening, but it is what they are most comfortable with and is alot better than 3 or 4 disposables each day.

My avatar
mousenose
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mousenose » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 am

flutterby wrote:
I would imagine one of our CMs might know the rules. But I honestly can't see that they'd have a leg to stand on, they can't tell you how to dress or feed your child, so how can they tell you how to nappy your child!

Lol actually they also said that any food I provided had to be something that he could eat cold or could have 10 seconds in the microwave, nothing like meat or rice or anything that has to be heated to a certain temp and then cooled down. :x

I might just send an email to the manager in a mo. Anyone mind if i post a draft on here for you guys to edit? x

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:55 am

mousenose wrote:
flutterby wrote:
I would imagine one of our CMs might know the rules. But I honestly can't see that they'd have a leg to stand on, they can't tell you how to dress or feed your child, so how can they tell you how to nappy your child!

Lol actually they also said that any food I provided had to be something that he could eat cold or could have 10 seconds in the microwave, nothing like meat or rice or anything that has to be heated to a certain temp and then cooled down. :x

:x :x

mousenose wrote:
I might just send an email to the manager in a mo. Anyone mind if i post a draft on here for you guys to edit? x

post away!!!

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 am

flutterby wrote:
paintedclaws wrote: i think a few people have had problems with hospitals and nursery's saying they don't use cloth because its unhygenic which is rubbish! The dirty nappies are sealed in a wetbag out of everyones way whereas the nappy bins are on the ground where little hands can get to them. If they insist on having nappy sacks then you can even get those which are washable (available from Babykind)
:

What aload of rollocks, my hospital has 3 huge nappy bins (inserts, pockets and liners) in every room on the mat ward, they certainly wouldn't be allowed if it were unhygenic!

My thoughts exactly! I didn't ask about cloth in hospital i just used it but a few ladies on another site have been told no because of hygiene...

I have to say i didn't apreciate the nappy bin being almost next to my bed when i was in hospital and ended up having to stop for almost a week too.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:14 am

I would revisit it, preferably at a time when you don't have your LO with you. If they are attached to the college then I would check the college's environmental policy, and see if they are in line with that. If not, then can you switch nurseries? We ended up using a CM but all the nurseries we spoke to were happy to use cloth. I do live in a bit of a hippy dippy area tho. :giggle:

Try to stay calm and if necessary get a doctors note about his nappy rash and how it has cleared up since using cloth

My childminder told me that she couldn't flush the liners down the loo as she was looking after the other kiddies. SO she just put the nappies (wet or dirty) in a nappy sack and back in the change bag. It meant that I sometime had to pick wipes out of a poopy nappy before flushing the poo down the loo at the end of the day, but it was worth it to make sure she used the nappies I wanted.

Steer clear of the AIOs for nursery as they can leak. BG are a good choice, and we used Haute nappies too which are great if you can get hold of them (super absorbent microfbre inserts). I have some of each for sale at the moment, but they're pink so doubt they would do for your little man!

They may have just got a bit spooked by a two part nappy system and you asking them to flush the liners. Try again and try to stay calm, however irritating they are, as you will get a better result that way

My avatar
hellsbells82
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Nursery wont use cloth :-( - Update

Postby hellsbells82 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:00 pm

I send my DD to a nursery in an area where not many people use cloth, it was the first time most had exeperienced it but they've been great. Rather than a wetbag/wshable wipes etc I send my DD with a bag (was a change bag, now a little rucksack) with all her clean nappies (bumgenius pockets) ready filled with a liner etc, they change them, drop the liner in their nappy wrapper then put the nappies in a nappy sackand straight into her bag to come home which seems like a good compromise, they even write things like "very loose dirty nappy" on the bags to warn me, like I'm not elbow deep in nappies half the time :hohoho:
If your lo's nappy leaks on their clothes they will send them home, so what's the difference with a nappy?

My avatar
mousenose
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Nursery wont use cloth :-( - Update

Postby mousenose » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 pm

exactly :babyrolleyes:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat