Hello and help!

My avatar
getsetgo
Clothie
Clothie

Hello and help!

Postby getsetgo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi All

Been lurking on the boards for a few weeks now, been waiting for admin to approve my membership which came through today!

I am Lisa SAHM to Sam (6) and Ben (1). Ben was in cloth nappies for about 4 months after he was born but then I was ill and couldn't keep up with the laundry so he was put in the dreaded dispicables. We have now been back in cloth for a few weeks and giving wool wraps ago. But I have a problem....

I bought a Disana pull on pants wrap which I lanolised and dried, put him to bed in some pyjamas and a grobag and when he got up in the morning he was wet through.

Washed them, lanolised them again and for a couple of nights we had some success and then the same thing happened again, wet through!

The wrap stank of urine so again washed them and lanolised and tried again.

This morning his grobag was damp, his pyjama bottoms were very wet but the wrap was damp all over except one patch around the leg area which looked "wet".

I have aired them today but they stink of urine, I thought that once they were left to air the smell should go, so why do mine still smell?

It looks like I am going to have to wash them again to get rid of the smell, should I lanolise them again? this will be the fourth time in just over a week!!

I am using an Ellas House Bumhugger (new style) stuffed with a Fuzzi Bunz 3 layer Microfibre insert, we have also tried cotton terry boosters as well, could it be due to not enough stuffing? He goes about 3 hours in a Fuzzi Bunz during the day with 2 microfibre inserts so maybe a heavy wetter but I would have thought the bumhugger could cope? His pyjama bottoms are fairly loose so not causing compression that I can see (although last night it may have done, not our usual set of pj's but looking at the wet patch on the wrap could be a culprit)

We are using Imse Vinse Wool Shampoo, Imse Vinse Wool Cure, soaking for 24 hours plus, rinsing in cold water with a splash of vinegar.

Really want this to work! Anyone got an ideas or suggestions please as to what I am doing wrong????

I understand that his grobag and pyjamas can be a little damp due to the moisture evaporating out?

Thank you

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:00 pm

Hello and welcome!!

I would say don't put PJs over your woolies at all really... If in a gro-bag shouldn't need to really... Just a longsleeved top - depends how cold your house is tho' I guess :)

Another one is that microfibre can act as a sponge and when squished leaks! I find that if I put any microfibre in Isabelle's night nappies she will leak too (even tho' the rest of the nappy might be dry!)

Try a bamboo and hemp combo for best results...

Not sure I can help about the smell - I lanolise once in a blue moon, alternate (don't use same each night) and air well inbetween uses...
How are you washing? I handwash using ecover delicates wash v.gently...

What happens when you use a PUL or fleece wrap at night? If you still get leaking/wicking it's definately the lack of boosting...

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:11 am

Hi and welcome to the board! That is strange the email took a while to get to you as I apporved you a couple of days ago :? !!

Firstly it does sound like you have quite a heavy wetter. A bumhugger with a mf booster would no way be enough for my Louis. I use up to 6 layers of hemp + at least 3 of mf cloth to do the night (that is in a nappy such as a bumble or a Hemp/Terry Stuffie). I would say try boosting more and get some more absorbent boosting like hemp or bamboo.

Nextly I think I may have worked out your lanolin problem you are NOT supposed to rinse the lanolin out after you have soaked them, just gently wring dry in a towel and then dry them. If you rinse them (espeacially with the vinegar as well) it is probably stripping most of it out again!! hths, let us know how you get on :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:14 am

clothmama wrote:Nextly I think I may have worked out your lanolin problem you are NOT supposed to rinse the lanolin out after you have soaked them, just gently wring dry in a towel and then dry them. If you rinse them (espeacially with the vinegar as well) it is probably stripping most of it out again!! hths, let us know how you get on :D

That's what the imse vimse instructions say to do Tory and I've not had a problem yet!!

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:30 am

I've never used wool but wanted to say hi!

:D

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:41 am

Hi an welcome.

The things that struck me are:

I wouldn't use pjs over the wool - it works best if it has room for air to circulate as this allows it to evaporate. I would just put him in the grobag. You could put some babylegs on if you are worried his legs will get cold.

Like Tory, I wouldn't rinse, and I don't use vinegar. I just leave to soak overnight and then gently squeeze and lay over a drying rack over the bath. Wool can take 3 or 4 lanolisations (is that a word??) to get up to full strength to use overnight and they really do get better with time. So it honestly doesn't surprise me really that they didn't work after one go. However after 3 lanolises they should be fairly waterproof and not smell at all after a few hours airing because the lanolin is anti-bacterial so it really sounds like there isn't enough lanolin in them.

Try boosting the nappy more. As Steph says, microfibre is not the best thing pn its own with wool. And it really sounds like you need some more - perhaps combine the mf with some hemp. Charlotte can outwee a hemp and terry stuffie nappy with it's own booster, 2 easy peasy hemp boosters and a microfibre cloth at the moment so I know how much they can wee!!

I hope this helps. Look forward to chatting some more soon. And do come back with more questions! :D :D

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:12 am

hi!
nice to 'meet you'
shevi
ps. i ahve no words of wisdom re: wool...i have only ever used proper lanolin in blobs, so i dont know how the wool cure works

My avatar
getsetgo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby getsetgo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:49 am

Hi everyone

Thanks for the advice and tips!

I will try not rinsing the wrap, was just following the instructions, thought it was a bit strange as vinegar is used to strip nappies but instructions are there for a reason iykwim!

Will also try boosting with something a bit better than microfibre or a cotton booster on its own, ordered some big weeds so maybe one of those with a cotton booster or microfibre to absorb quickly may do the trick, a few nights of experimentation (spelling?) coming up I think!

With regards to temperature at night its about 16 degrees in his room at the moment so would just a wool wrap and no bottoms inside a 2.5 tog gro bag be ok? i have been debating getting some wool longies but can't find any colours I like and like nappies there are so many too choose from! any recommendations?

I am handwashing the wrap as I did try doing a wool wash in the machine as I originally bought two, now I am down to one lol so you guess what happened!

Also how long is the least time you can leave things soaking in lanolin and still get the desired result! I am sure the bottle says a few hours, I have been leaving overnight but by the time they are dry as well it takes about 3-4 days which means I have to use disposables.

Thanks again everyone!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:48 pm

just wanted to say hi to another mum to a Ben!

I haven't got any experience of wool just yet, but believe you can wrap the wool up in a towel to get rid of the moisture which should help with the drying time.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat