hf1

Did you use cloth nappies from birth?

My avatar
Chell
Clothie
Clothie

Did you use cloth nappies from birth?

Postby Chell » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Did you use cloth nappies when your baby was born or did you start later?

Can you use cloth when they are still in hospital or do they insist on disposables?

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ginchyworld » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:09 pm

I didn't start cloth until Bella was about 6 weeks. There was no real reason why I didn't start earlier.

I think you'll be fine to use cloth in hospital if you want since you have to supply your own nappies anyway.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:16 pm

Yes!

Ben was in cloth from the moment his first nappy was put on. Sadly he wasn't allowed to use cloth for the time he was in SCBU (the 2nd day of his life), but the rest of our long hospital stay (we both came out when he was 9 days old) he was in cloth nappies - sometimes these were done up when he was allowed out for cuddles, other times he had cloth under his bum in the incubator, until he started to wriggle around too much as in rotate 360 degrees so we went to just using cut up strips of the inca pads (what the ladies lie on with diamonds on :wink: ).

He has only worn disps 4 times since he was 9 days old - 3 when I wondered if his sore bum would get better (it didn't) and the other when water had leaked all over his cloth in the changing bag and at the very bottom was a disp.

If you want to know more I did a whole long newborn nappy review in the review section and Beck has her newborn in cloth too.

Oh and he was known as eco baby with funky nappies by 1 midwife and another was pleased we weren't adding to landfil. As long as you are the person changing the nappies and responsible for your baby there is no reason why you can't use cloth IMO.

Annette

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:23 pm

I used cloth from when the cord fell off. It was just free pampers in the hospital, and I didn't have the experience to do something that was so different to everyone else. Knowing what I do now, I would quite happily take cloth into the hospital to shock people. We don't get a council incentive for cloth nappies, but the hospital was talking of changing over to cloth nappies. That said, I can't actually see it happening, but I think it would be a lovely way for more mums to get to use them.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:27 pm

Wow Rae - free nappies - the only thing we got for free in hospital was bascially horrible food and the bedding to use. Oh and when was prescibed formula, he got that too.

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:28 pm

No as i didn't know about them then, wish i had. I started using cloth when Evie was 14 mths old so quite late really but more than made up for it since buying lots since! :lol:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:31 pm

We started the day we got home but next time I am planning to take cloth from the start. Should be no reason why you can't and some hospitals actually give you a free Fuzzi Bunz :D

My avatar
Chell
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Chell » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks, I thought I had read somewhere that hospitals don't let you use them. I am likely to have a section so will be in a few days.

I also forgot about council incentives, I'll do some research to find out if any are available in this area.

I'll look at those articles later too, thank you.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:02 pm

We only started using cloth when I was pregnant with Zac so I used them with Lockie from about 1 year and Zac from birth. Zsc has worn about 6 disposables in his life. I found we had far less leaks with the cloth. Lockie went through so many more changes of cloths than Zac.

I had a homebirth but our hospital provide cloth nappies for you to use while you are staying there which I think is fantastic and at least encourages people to give them a go straight away. :D

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat