To use for a newborn maybe premature

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

To use for a newborn maybe premature

Postby MissFrodo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi ladies,

Expecting my second little wonder and have a change it will be a premature again.
Made my wishlist and I'm wondering should I get Imse Vimse newborn or the normal diaper size?
Or any other nappies that are small?
Will order some bamboozles and totbots too in size 1 but open to all ideas.
Or is is more handy to start with disposables?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: To use for a newborn maybe premature

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi, My twins were 2 month prem, and I didnt start using cloth until they were about 3 months or so. but that was more to do with I didnt want to spend a lot on super small stuff, then have to buy bigger. But Riley took so long to grow that I relented and got her some super small stuff.

Riley is still small now, only about 12lbs, and super skinny. I started her in bimbles and diddy diapers, which are perfect for teeny waists and legs. I'm now using mostly bambinex which are super soft and again good for skinny legs. I also used x-small fuzzis and real easy by hip hip baby (which I LOVE). She still isnt a big wee'er so the x-small stuff is great.

Her brother Lachlan is chunkier and is mostly in bamboozles. On the odd occassion I run out of rileys stuff I pop her in a bamboozle but its just way to bulky for her, although thats what I use as a night nappy for her.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is in my very inexperienced opinion sized ones are big on a prem baby! - but the smaller nappies don't last all that long. If you don't mind lots of bulk you could go for the smaller ones to start then get size 2's or birth to potty.

Good luck on keeping your bub cooking though :hug:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Archie was 8 weeks prem and we used Little Lambs size 1 from when he was about 5 weeks old I think, the first 3 weeks he was in NNU and they don't allow cloth nappies in there in our PCT.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:55 pm

My daughter was born at 37 weeks and was 5lbs 14oz and all her cloth nappies were huge so when i got pregnant with kieren we stocked up on tiny nappies (XS thirsties, XS sandies and preemie prefolds) and when Kieren was born at 38 weeks he weighed 7lbs 7oz! so he didnt really fit in them :roll: :giggle:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:12 pm

I find bamboozles size one are pretty huge on a newborn so definately wouldn't suit a preemie...

XS bimbles and thirsties are fab and fit from about 5lbs I think...
XS fuzzis are fab too...
Oh and small (30cm) bamboo terries are pretty versatile though I didn't use them myself a lot of people rave about them on a newborn whatever size they are... (plus you can use them for pockets later)

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks for the advice!
Hope this little one will stay al lot longer, Emi was 6 weeks prem.
Guess it's not ok to use cloth in hopistal here so if it's prem again the first weeks will be disposable.
And yes it's for a very short period so I won't be spending a fortune on the little sizes.
That's why I thought about Imse Vimse, anyone tried that one??
So now I will check al the advised nappies :coffee:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:21 pm

Ben was born 35 + 5 at 6lb 2oz and cloth nappies were fine on him right from the first nappy from being born. However he wasn't allowed them in SCBU when he had a brief stay there, but when on the ward anything went. Size 1's were massive for ages, but 40 x 40 bamboo squares I loved and they are still in use now 2 years later as boosting for pockets and night nappies so well worth it, even when he had grown out of them!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:32 pm

Oh I really like the Real Easy by Hip Hip Baby I think, they look lovely!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:14 am

MissFrodo wrote:Oh I really like the Real Easy by Hip Hip Baby I think, they look lovely!

:D I LOVE them. Riley is still in an x-small although she'll probably be out of it in a few weeks :wine: . Lachlan is still in a small. And they are sturdier than fuzzis and have the microfleece and a hemp booster - so winner all round!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat