hf1

Why do you use cloth nappies?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Why do you use cloth nappies?

Postby megansmummy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:49 pm

oh yeah not to motion that nasty gel and OMG when one explodes its awful...that gel gets everywhere...i called my gp one morning becuase when I got megan out of her cot her disp had exloaded and there was gel all in her girly bits :shock:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Oh another thing I forgot, we've only ever had one terrible poo explosion. Rhyswas tiny and had just had his op and the nurse put a sposie on him, it sploded all up his back and all over his clothes and everything :puke: , we've NEVER had anything like that with cloth.

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cazza1982_123 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Well I'd never given it a moments' thought prior to becoming pregnant but I took an antenatal class and our breastfeeding counsellor was also a nappy advisor. On our ladies only session she came along with various types of nappies (mainly terries and fitteds) and from that point on I knew I wanted to use cloth. I started to look into all of the reasons for using cloth and invested in some size1 totsbots and little lambs. I was also given loads of prefolds through freecycle! When my LO was born we used disposables as we were given loads by MIL when I was about 10 weeks pregnant and I couldn't face the idea of washing straight away because of my section. When my LO was 3 weeks old I tried a totsbots in a totsbots wrap. Unfortunately it leaked so that did put me off so I continued to use up the rest of the disposables. When these were running (when LO was 5 weeks) out I decided to try cloth again (because of cost) so I did and we have never looked back!

Obviously my knowledge of cloth has vastly improved and my stash now consists of lots of beautiful nappies. I do still have 10 nippa totsbots and motherease wraps (which my mum uses when she takes care of my LO each week when I'm at work) but I don't really use these. I was quite lucky because I muddled along for the first few weeks using the size1's and prefolds then my LO outgrew them at 2 months old!!! So since then he's been in medium fuzzi's and size 2 totsbots and stuffies at night. Now I've spent a bit more and he's in large itti's, blueberry's, berry plush and large WNNN's in addition to the tb's and fuzzi's. Thing is when we have no.2 I'm going to have to invest in some cute newborn fluff as I'm not going to want to just use the size1 tots bots, little lambs and prefolds!!

Ok so in order of importance after I've rattled on!!! Initially it was cost, followed by environment and now its LO's comfort, good prevention of leaks and health (didn't know about the fertility issues until recently and the more I know about disposables the more I'm horrified by whats in them!) and of course the cuteness factor!!! Have converted two friends to cloth as well :wine:

Sorry I've written an essay!! :oops:

Caroline xx

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:32 pm

I started with cloth when Dawn was born, for the cost and also looks. Babies look way cuter with a big fluffy bum :giggle:

I went back to them now because I struggle to get disps to fit her :oops:

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:24 pm

In the time I was pregnant with Emi I thought about cloth but I was thinking it was like my mother used when I was young and that was such a mess with soaking and stuff so I didn;t look further and used disposables.
Until I saw Itti Bitti's a month ago and had a good chat with a nappy advisor. I decided to give it a try and love it since then. Had some troubles finding a good one, it's not easy starting with a 2 year old heavy wetter, but we'll manage and the baby that will show up soon will be in cloth!

Reasons are it's cheaper, nicer looking and better for the environment. And the wassingthing isn't a problem at all ;)

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 pm

We originally wanted to use cloth nappies for cost issue and then the environment. Now its definitely LOs comfort and having no nasty chemicals near her bum, followed by the environment (ive become an eco warrior since having DD :oops: :giggle: ) and then cost but i think we have spent more than the cost of disps!!

Atleeast we arent chucking them away!! And i cant wait to use newborn fluff as all we had to start were tots bots and little lambs on DD from 2 weeks (we used minging disps before then as DD was too small for size 1 little lambs and tots). From about 6 weeks old we got into WN and the likes :roll:

I love cloth nappies!! x

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:28 pm

i dcided when i was pregnant i wanted to use cloth, due to a mixture of cost and environmental issues and bought a lollipop trial pack with about 10 different types of nappy. We decided to give them all a try when pippa was born and then decide, unfortunatley she was a midget (6lb 9oz) so it was about a month before she'd fit in any of them. During that month she had such bad nappy rash her bum was red raw bleding and sore. Everyone kept telling me not to switch till it was healed but i had enough and switched. Within days her bum was better, we think she's allergic to a chemical in disposable nappies and baby wipes, so it started out as a cost motive but now it's for pippa's health, plus i love all th cute nappies you can get
xx

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:47 pm

Yeah I'm gonna be looking to buy some night nappies after the Xmas hols too as ds is still in sposies of a night. I keep looking at all the lovely bedbugs and WNs in the classified section and have to fight myself not to buy them :x

Reasons I use cloth pretty much what everyone else has said. I hate the idea of all those chemicals near his skin 24 hours a day, I hate the smell for sure :puke: and I don't like the idea of adding to the landfill problem. :evil:

I did have cloth nappies ready for when ds was born and then had problems with leaks so went back to sposies for awhile. Have re-tried them again recently and they are working like a dream. Will def try and use them on number 2 earlier (when we get around to having him/her)

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:51 pm

Just bumping this as I'd like to know why a few more of you all use cloth.

Researching for my business planning :wink: Am I ok to use quotes from this thread?

I use cloth for a few reasons -

I first started with terry squares as I was doing it to save money. Then I became an addict :giggle: that went out of the window. :hohoho: Although the being able to sell them on makes that still a valid reason! :widesmile:
The environmental reasons. :cnthug:
They are cute, pretty, gorgeous, squishy, fluffy and more :babyroll:
I like to be different, thats one of my reasons too. :giggle: although I'm not so different to all my internet family.
The health benefits.
So I don't have to get up in the middle of the night! The horrid gel stuff they put in sposies, can't handle Kaydi's wee's :puke:
Much more natural!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat