New baby nappy questions, various!

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

New baby nappy questions, various!

Postby clarge » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi ladies, for questions for you....

Right, newborn wraps, how many rekon I would need? Also using wool but i know you get more explosions with NB's.

At what point do you normally need to start using dedicated night nappies?

And how old/heavy when they move into size 1's from NB?

Thanks

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: New baby nappy questions, various!

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:47 pm

:idea: Hya hun!

Right, newborn wraps, how many rekon I would need? Also using wool but i know you get more explosions with NB's.
I had 6 and that was fine...i would probably get 6-8 next time just so that I didnt have to worry...I used tiny prefolds a fair bit with a nippa when L was newborn as we got a good fit but that did mean more blow outs than a fitted nappy :-? So it depends on the type of nappies your planning on using and how often your washing nappies...we washed everother morning...
As for wool, I would make sure you have a fair few bits if its your cover of choice as obv it takes longer to wash and dry. What about getting some soakers, just thinking they are cheaper than longies and you could put them under sleepsuits and things?

At what point do you normally need to start using dedicated night nappies?
Kieren needed changing at every feed untill he was about 3.5 months as he would still wake to feed through the night and he would poop with every feed. I stopped breastfeeding at 3 months and for us it settled down then and he wouldnt poop every feed...I used a disp for a while at night becuase i wanted to use wool rather than pul and had to wait to get customs and things...so I would say we moved into night nappies at 4 months...we could have used dedeicated night nappies from then but i waited untill he was almost 6 months so that i could buy larges that I knew would last longer :oops:

And how old/heavy when they move into size 1's from NB?
Kieren was 7lbs 7pz born and I had a stash of XS thirsties and XS sandies, along with XS prefolds. I would say it was only a couple of weeks before he fitted into his size 1 little lambs, and small sandies and thirsties...really not long at all...Unless you make small babies then i wouldnt bother too much with too many XS/NB's :-? (saying that I thought K would be small as Megan was only 5lbs 14oz, but he was average and not that tiny at all!)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:50 pm

OK everyone will probably have different answers but for me

we had 8 wraps in the beginning and this suited us so that we washed every couple of days and had spares in case of leakage

Both of mine started in size 1s or with Charlotte Motherease Onesizes - newborn nappies are really small and unless you have a very small baby will not last long at all. We had a newborn Swaddlebees OV for Ben and it literally lasted weeks.

We didn't look into night nappies properly until after about 3 or 4 months when they were sleeping better and I could no longer boost the nappies I had enough to make them last. Until then you may be changing them in the night still or you can just add a couple of boosters to your normal day nappies

HTH

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clarge » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks, with 2 in cloth i will be washing every day i think. I will be using a mixture of wool and wraps as I dont think i can afford enough wool soakers to keep me going.

I have 35+ newborn nappies already, all preloved, but was gonna get a few size 1's to keep me going as he grows.

Thanks ladies. Think I will get maybe 2 more small wraps and maybe 3-4 size ones!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat