hf1

Aaargh why do they say that using cloth is a hassle?

My avatar
Rutella
Clothie
Clothie

Aaargh why do they say that using cloth is a hassle?

Postby Rutella » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:36 pm

I had a conversation with some NCT mamas the other day about using cloth (I'm the only one who does), basically it consisted of them saying "its a massive hassle, I mean it's a good thing to do and stuff but it's such a hassle" while I kept saying "actually it's really not, it's one of the least hassle-some things in my life, it really isn't a big deal in that sense", but no matter how much I said this, they kept looking at me like I was some weirdo martyr who was keeping a brave face on it all :roll: there was just no convincing them, I even showed them the bumgenius that I had in my bag, explained how easy it was, how I just washed them etc but nope.

Then today I had to use sposies for the first time since DJ was two weeks old (when we were still using sposies at night) as we are in the middle of a move to France and my nappy stash has mostly been packed away and we don't yet have a washing machine in our new flat. So i thought, fine I'll use sposies till the washing machine gets there (fingers crossed, it should be this Sat), but aaargh, it is so annoying, firstly they stink :puke: and secondly they leak everywhere. I mean I have had two minor leaks in 2 months of using cloth, like seriously small marks on clothes. But I have had to change him completely twice today after his entire clothes were covered in poo! What is the point of me avoiding having dirty nappies sitting around till the washing machine comes only to have dirty clothes instead :x

I'm just so mad and needed to vent somewhere where people would understand!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Aaargh why do they say that using cloth is a hassle?

Postby northernruth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:40 pm

It's so irritating, I even tried to get our local surestart to do a session on cloth at their baby group, and they were so not interested. I'm always amazed at all these middle class NCT mums who won't even consider it, yet they are recycling for England and growing their own veg and anything else environmental

(I am a middle class NCT mum by the way.........)

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:50 pm

I thought our SureStart would be interested in doing a talk about cloth nappies a well, because our council is giving out vouchers for it, but apparently they aren't. Totally agree with you about spoises being so much more of a hassle. And the smell, yuck!

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 pm

:x Its just one of those stereotype images that can only be overcome by trying it. Cloth = old terry nappies = smell, hassle and lots of washing :twisted: Nothing could be further from the truth.

What they should really fear is the addiction of buying. Cloth nappies should come with a warning like it does on packs of cigs :giggle:

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby babygrowbelly » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Emma1977 wrote::x Its just one of those stereotype images that can only be overcome by trying it. Cloth = old terry nappies = smell, hassle and lots of washing :twisted: Nothing could be further from the truth.

What they should really fear is the addiction of buying. Cloth nappies should come with a warning like it does on packs of cigs :giggle:

So very true!!! :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
moonlily
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby moonlily » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:57 pm

omg I know!!! nobody is interested and they look at you like you have some kind of mental condition when they find out you use cloth!! My washer has just been fixed(AGAIN!!!) and i had to go back to sposies for about 2 weeks it was hell!!!! and poor lalas little bum was so sore :crossbaby: well its their loss eh???

My avatar
Rutella
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rutella » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Emma1977 wrote::x Its just one of those stereotype images that can only be overcome by trying it. Cloth = old terry nappies = smell, hassle and lots of washing :twisted: Nothing could be further from the truth.

yeah, I tried to say that the only hassle was choosing between all the goregous fluff available but then they really thought I'd lost it!

Oh and my poor boys bum is already red, he doesn't react well to sposies either :crossbaby:

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:16 pm

My friends all think im off my head and have turned into a "mad hippy type" :giggle: but i love my cloth, and i love all the other things that cloth and joing this forum have brought into my life too :)

My avatar
moonlily
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby moonlily » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 pm

yaaay for hippies!!!! :wine: :wine: :giggle: :giggle:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat