hf1

BV really, really faded after first wash!

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

BV really, really faded after first wash!

Postby 2climbingboys » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:43 am

I have just washed 2 new dyed BV outer nappies for the first time and the colours have really, really faded. The orange is ok, but the blues and greens are now a watery pastel version.

I am a little :shock: and disappointed to be honest. I like the way colours in dyed BV gradually change over time, but not like this. I had bedbugs, a FF and a WCNN in the wash at the same time and the colours in those are still fine, so I don't think it is due to my washing.

What do you all make of it?
Last edited by 2climbingboys on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: BV really, really faded after first wash!

Postby megansmummy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 am

Oh no, i would be a bit dissapointed if they faded after the first wash too...like you said over time you expect them to fade a little but not after the first wash...not seeing as it costs more to order dyed OBV ones!! :-?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 am

I would contact Tami and explain what has happened. She's usually pretty good about these things. I wouldn't expect it to fade badly after just one wash.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:33 pm

Sounds like the dyes weren't fixed properly in first place and that they weren't washed and rinsed enough after dyeing for it not to be noticed. Odd that so much colour would wash out after just one wash with you, when they should have been rinsed thoroughly after dyeing anyway. That's what would concern me the most. The fabrics I dye are washed 1-2 time cold and 4 times hot so any initial fading in colour and removal of excess dyes would happen then.

You'll tend to find the colours that wash out most are blues and green as they don't fix as well both for acid and procion dyes, but should be gradual like you say or during washing stage of dyeing process. You get dye assists that help bring out blues, etc. It shouldn't happen like that after just one wash and the dyes you've lost couldn't have been bonded chemically and fixed to the fabric properly. Sounds like not enough fixer and not enough washing. You'll find dyed fabric might leak slightly in the first few washes as any unbonded dye molecules continue to be washed out. That's why I don't like dyed fabrics next to LOs wet skin as there will usually still be some very small amounts of dye still unbonded even when excess fixer is used and fabrics are washed and rinsed numerous times.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Well Beth's saved me some time there as that's what I was going to szy.

Obviously dyes aren't 100% wash fast and will fade eventually over time, blue being the worst for it, but they certainly shouldn't come out first wash, I would speak to the WAHM

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:20 pm

I would definitely say something too, like Beth said it sounds like a problem with her dying process :-?

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat