hf1

How does your baby grow?!

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

How does your baby grow?!

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi everyone, hope this isn't a really silly question but my DD is 19 weeks old and already wearing medium sized nappies, and is on the medium setting for BTP nappies.

Her current measurements are 15" waist and 11.5" thighs. She's around 16lb 10oz (hasn't been weighed for a couple of weeks).

I'm trying to look out for pre-loved nappies in the right sizes in advance, so that as she grows I have them ready, but I have no idea at what age she will move from medium to large, or grow out of the large ones.

At the moment I just can't imagine how she will still be fitting in any of the BTP nappies until potty training (which I'm assuming will be another 2 years or so?). Has anyone experienced their babies growing out of nappies before they are potty trained, and if so what did you use for the interim period? Are there any brands that make an extra large size?

Or am I worrying too much - do babies slim down but get longer as they get older? DD is my first so it's all new to me!! :oops:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: How does your baby grow?!

Postby Sally » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:20 am

babies tend to really chunk out and then slim down when they start moving and walking, so you may find your mediums will fit her in a year but might not fit her at say 8 months ! they fit my friends little girl who is 14 months with room in waist rise is about 2 inches below her belly button a great fit actually!
but all babies are different so it's hard to say really! lol not much help am I !

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 am

I agree aboutthe slimming down / changing shape. I have larges that I bought Louis when he was about 5 months old as night nappies and he still fits them now at 3.5 years old! Once your lo is moving her shape will change - I wouldn't get rid of any of your mediums in a hurry as she may need larges then go back to mediums!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 am

i'm so glad you asked this question. I have been wondering for ages if my two were going to 'grow out' of all the sizes :giggle:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:47 am

Bella was at her chunkiest between 10 and 14 months and was easily into large nappies and running out of room :shock: . Then she really slimmed down (started running everywhere!!) and is now back into medium nappies. Larges are just too big on her!

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:40 am

See i worry about this.

DD is nearly 1 and into most large nappies (WNNL L is a great fit on tightest snaps) and she is learning to walk, i have a feeling we are going to struggle to get them to fit when she is confidently walking! x

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 am

Babies grow at an astonishing rate in the first year, but after that their growth slows down considerably. Iris was in some large nappies at about 5 months old, and is now comfortably in mediums in most nappies. Our stash changed a lot more in the first few months than it has needed to in the past 6 or so. I don't think she changed shape as such (she's always been tall and slim, so we didn't have any noticeable slimming down - she's never had chunky thighs!), she's just not growing so quickly now.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 am

Kieren is just 9 months and into larges in most nappies now but i know from past experience that he will probably thin out once he starts walking, he is crawling now and even that will probably make him change shape again...

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks everyone - really helpful :wine:

Never considered that she might go into larges then back into mediums again, but that's made me feel better about all the lovely pre-loved medium WNs I've just bought :oops:

Sounds like a perfect excuse to have plenty of pretty nappies in all sizes for every eventuality :giggle:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat