hf1

Errrm Kierens thighs are blue?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Errrm Kierens thighs are blue?

Postby megansmummy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:00 pm

K has been wearing on of his new HO nappies and granted i didnt wash it before hand but his thighs are blue? how can i get it off and does nayone know what dye it is? and I think his longies are too small for him, they are really tight around the hip/bum bit and a struggle to get on and he looks uncomfir when sat up :( Does interlock loosen up or not??

ETA, im also worried about washing them and the dye running?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Errrm Kierens thighs are blue?

Postby beffys » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Emma is prob best person to answer your questions. It'll be procion dyes I would have thought if it's OBV. Blue dyes are the worst for leaking excess unfixed dye, with wool and acid dyes or with cellulose fabrics and procion MX dyes. Red is bad too obviously as it turns things pink, but with blue quite often dye assists are useful to actually get them the blue dyes to be absorbed better. I've never actually bothered to use any dye assists though.

With the interlock it depends on the type of interlock. If it's 100% it will probably stretch like most merino is prone to, so especially around waist, hips, areas where there is stretching from movement. If it's more expensive lycra blend then it shouldn't stretch out particularly or shrink at all really either. Sounds like the lycra blend to me if it feels tight.

With the nappy, wash it with some black clothes for a few washes. That's what you should always do with any clothing if you're not sure they are colourfast, especially hand dyed. If the nappy is lined with BV you should be able to tell if it's stopped leaking colour by where the inner undyed BV is at the elasticated parts. It'll leak onto there probably during washing, but there is nothing to fix the dye particles so will wash out and should stop leaking provided it was fixed. There is always excess dye though even when you use excess amounts of fixative.

With the wool, just hand wash and you'll probably notice any dye leaking when you lanolise first few times.

Always prewash, not just for absorbency, but so your LO's thighs won't turn blue... Procion dyes are non toxic, so will be fine (just blue). I use rederan to get dye off skin when I'm stupid enough to get it up my arms on or my hands. The main issues with dyes is when they are in powder form so can be breathed in.

My HO nappies never came today, so I probably won't get it until Wednesday as postie will try to deliver on Monday when I'm out. :(

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks beth, i did contact Emma and its all sorted but i just panicked and she wasnt online at that point...i was a bit worried :oops:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:32 pm

The dye will fade naturally over a couple a days. Kind of like when you get pen on your skin or hands. Ella's prone to drawing on herself or likes to draw on me too if she's drawing around hands or whatever. I think she takes after me being covered in ink a lot of the time.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:36 pm

good tip with the Rederan Beth! ! I have green and yellow hands and nails.. and only person that commented on my *nail and hand varnish* was a girl aged 9 ;) She thought they were quite pretty .. she said sniggering!!!!!!!!

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm not even sure where my tube of rederun is. :giggle: I had one pink arm and blue hands last week. Pah, nevermind! :giggle:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:40 pm

I meant to add BO HOO to RM for not getting your nappies to you :nono: It almost all came off with a good scub in the bath anyway, there is just a bit left...will make a note to make sure im not impatient and i PRE-wash the nappies first :roll: :oops: :giggle:

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 pm

:hohoho:
Michael has blue thighs too ..... see these nappies are just too gorgeous to pre-wash :wink:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:19 pm

This happened to Kerr when I dyed some nappies ages ago - he had a blue bum for a good few days until it wore off :giggle:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat