What material and why

My avatar
SusanKP
Clothie
Clothie

What material and why

Postby SusanKP » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:54 am

Hi All,

What do you like better for the absorbent material in a nappy and why? Bamboo, hemp, cotton.

Thanks all
Susan

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: What material and why

Postby mabo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am

I like bamboo best... cotton is by far the cheapest option but nowhere near as absorbent as the other two and doesn't stay soft. Hemp is a bit more absorbent than bamboo but it too goes quite stiff in comparison and also has a certain smell about it when wet that bamboo doesn't.
Out of the different bamboo types available my preference goes: velour>fleece>terry because terry takes the longest to dry..

HTH!

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:25 am

I would say bamboo. I am not a huge fan of hemp but no particular reason why. I just prefer bamboo. :wink:

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby freyasmummy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:08 am

Depends on the capacity in which it's being used! I like bamboo best for nappies as it's softer, but I like hemp and microfibre much better for inserts - my favourite combo was a Hemparoo insert wrapped in a microfibre cloth. I never had any guilt issues about drying my hemp inserts on a radiator and so the insert combo would dry super-fast.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 am

We like Bamboo best, Velour, then fleece and finally terry. Hemp is the most absorbent but it goes stiff quite quick where as bamboo stays really soft. Cotton isnt very absorbent at all and we dont own any cotton nappies.

Hope that helps x

My avatar
SusanKP
Clothie
Clothie

Postby SusanKP » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks ladies,
I only ask because my sons toxic teething wee seems to eat through the bamboo and it falls apart. However, it did not do this with the cotton boosters :-?
The BG's organic OSFM are cotton and they seem really absorbant to me but I am trying to make nappies but cannot seem to find really dense cotton like the BG's. Does anyone know where I can?

Does anyone else have the problem that teething wee eats through the bamboo?

Thanks
Susan

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby freyasmummy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:29 pm

I don't know what a BG organic OSFM is, but I can recommend the fabrics from EcoEarth. The luxury organic cotton terry is really thick and heavyweight and would make a really absorbent nappy.

http://www.ecoearthfabrics.co.uk/showpr ... ct_id=8531

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:31 pm

I loved hemp, with microfibre on top to help with the absorbtion. Also loved bamboo but it sounds like that's not working for you

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:16 pm

SusanKP wrote:Does anyone else have the problem that teething wee eats through the bamboo?

Thanks
Susan

I've not heard of that happening before, but do you dry pail? If so it may help (and also just in general your nappies will stay in better condition) if you give them a quick rinse in water before you pop them in your bucket :D

Hope that helps.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat