hf1

No-one else will use the cloth nappies!!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: No-one else will use the cloth nappies!!

Postby megansmummy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 am

My family all live away so we dont have that to worry about and luckily hubby is supportive of my choice to use cloth...it really was my choice too :)
He likes to use goodmamas and wool so I make sure that there are always some of those on the shelf for him to use although he will have a go at any of the nappies really :) We only use fitteds and wool so there are no wraps for him to negationate and i think thats makes a difference and he always worried he put them on too loose or too tight etc, he finds putting longies on just like trousers so it makes bit a bit easier for him.
I stay home with the children and change 99% of the nappies anyway.

Hope you can get hibby round to your way of thinking too...and to be honist if it was my mum putting my children in disposables OVER my choice to use cloth then I wouldnt be best happy really :-? They arnt hard to use, especaily if your sending pre-stuffed BG's...its just like putting a disp on? Perhaps changing the insert confuses her in the flips??

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:54 am

The only people to change nathan apart from dh and i are a friend and my sisters.they've all been fine with greenkids but i guess they are more like disposables than some nappies.
Dh tends to go for pockets with applix every time too as he finds them easiest.he hates wool during the day but will happily use it overnight!
Dh even said the other day that if any swimming pool insists on 2 swim nappies with one being a disposable then we wouldn't go there!so he's pretty supportive.
Hope you can get your family on side.

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:26 am

How annoying! Luckily my family understand why we use cloth, my mum is more disapproving of my nephew being in "eco"disposables. DH would probably use disposables but he does respect my wishes so uses cloth. He just has a mental block about putting nappies together, so as long as the nappies are in the right place and ready to use he doesn't have a problem. Not sure what the ILs think, but they haven't had to change any nappies yet.

Zulaxia wrote:This kind of behaviour from family members has always driven me nuts. It's akin to asking your relatives to not feed your kids crap, only to find they took them to McDonalds. It's not like the cost is the main factor for a lot of people, I know a huge factor for us is knowing there's no chemical gels doing untold damage to our offspring and their groins.

WHS, cost certainly isn't an issue here, in fact I'm not sure I'm saving any money :oops: Good analogy too.

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:32 am

My oh took a while to come around to cloth but will now happily use any of our pockets but won't use 2 parters. He also leaves the poo for me to deal with but that doesn't bother me too much.

On the one occasion that mil looked after Tyler I provided the easiest pockets that we owned and a disposable just in case, when I got there to pick him up he had the disposable on because apparently the applix pocket nappy looked too complicated :(. We don't speak to mil anymore anyway so guess that issue has gone and nobody else ever needs to chage him anyway :)

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:53 am

My family have always been very supportive of our decision to use cloth. So much so my mum has even tried to convert pregnant colleagues at work with our lovely Weenotions fluff!! My DH and MIL do prefer our boring Motherease One Size and wraps but they happily use them and at least there are never any problems with leaks as they are so bombproof! Getting their heads around wool has been slightly more difficult. They're happy to use it but I keep finding Rowan with a PUL wrap under the longies. :giggle: More explaining required there I think!!

Cathleen xx

My avatar
Charlootle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Charlootle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks for all your responses ladies, its good to hear your experiences.

I spoke to my mum this morning and she apologised, I'd laid out all the ready done pockets/flips for her to use and explained about the extra flip inserts, but she thinks she needs to just do it (she did use disposables yesterday) and then she won't have such a mental block so at least she's willing to give it a go! She used terries on me 23 years ago but only because she couldn't afford disposables apparentely, lol! We're going to stay for a few days so she says she'll make a concerted effort then :D

As for DP, once we've got a reliable night nappy I won't be buying disposables and I think DP has only thought to buy Jaden nappies once in 2 years :shock: so I highly doubt he'd suddenly start buying them to avoid cloth! Besides DP is going to live with his parents for a couple of months (long story :roll: :( ) and rarely changed Jaden's nappy anyway. When his dad has him I think I''ll have to just let him (or more accurately his mum) get Jaden disposables whilst he spends some weekends there.

Charlotte & Jaden x

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:35 am

we also had the same problem, with my mother, untill i told her off :giggle: and i never put sposies in the bag nad she never buys any so she has no choice, now and again she still moans but shes not as bad as she was.

OH was like it at first, if we were at home and alister was in cloth OH would change him straight intoa sposie, i'd flip! he made excuses like i dont know how to put it on!

we had a little chat about it one night, i asked him if he had a problem with me using them and he said he didnt, so i said whats the problem then! and since the chat hes been fine with using them :D

Glad youve got it sorted though im sure your convert your mum in no time :hug:

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:40 am

Must admit DH was a bit sceptical at 1st - now he happily uses them - but (as we have such an assortment) always has to check which ones need wraps, and leaves me to stuff pockets as i know what goes with what :giggle:

Both sets of parents have no probs with them either - as they both said - they used terries and these are just newer and easier versions of them :D

I really don't understand what the older generation of people have against them - they all used them on thier children! :x

My avatar
Salbysea
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Salbysea » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:12 am

My DH really likes them (although he doesn't know how much I paid for the blueberry minky :giggle: ), but he never has to make them up, they are always ready with a liner for him to use as easily as a disposible.

My CM, well, doesnt really like anything out of the ordinary so I am chickening out with her but he also goes to nursery and they seem quite happy to put him in cloth so I'll send ready made up pockets with him to nursery soon (I am quite new to cloth)

I had babysitters/nursery on my mind when getting into cloth nappies which is one of the reasons I've bought a lot of pockets and some flushable liners.

My mum hasnt had a go yet - she put me off cloth as I spent my 1st year in terrys and 2nd year in disposables, she does not have fun memories of using terry nappies!

My MIL is arriving in a few hours so I'll let you know after the weekend :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat