hf1

What should I buy?

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: What should I buy?

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Saskia wrote:Don't fitteds get sodden and horrible to touch though? I have only ever tried Motherease one size (a long time ago with my son) and they put me off reusables altogether. It's only when I realised there was a lot more options and pockets/AIOs that I decided to give it another go!.

Don't let MEOS put you off fitteds :evil: Don't get me wrong they have their place (usually at the very bottom of a stash :twisted: ) but there are soooo many other fitteds brands out there that work better. I started off with pockets and still have half of my stash made up from them - mainly BGs and 2 WNs - but I've recently started building up my fitteds and wool stash and I love them. Yes, they are far more soggy to the touch when it comes to changing times but no worse than pulling a soggy insert out of a pocket.

There are so many yummy choices as well - DnF, FnS, HL (one of my faves), GMs, bububebe, WNs - the list goes on. AND then there is all the yummy woolies you can buy as well - or flongies if wool is too pricey.

Go on and indulge yourself :wink:

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Saskia wrote:Don't fitteds get sodden and horrible to touch though? I have only ever tried Motherease one size (a long time ago with my son) and they put me off reusables altogether. It's only when I realised there was a lot more options and pockets/AIOs that I decided to give it another go!

cotton fitteds (tots bots) put me off too to start with too; they lasted 2 hours before they were dripping wet. I stick with bamboo nappies now, they are a bit slower drying but much more absorbant.

The ones that I have mentioned last 4 hours on Blake and don't end up sodden. If you are worried about your LOs skin being wet you could use fleece lined fitteds or fleece liners.

Saskia wrote:Which wraps are good? I am really not sure about wool I have to be honest! Plus it's so expensive and needs replacing often as they grow.

PUL - motherease wraps are slim fit and just unbeatable in my opinion. Stacinator and lovebums are also excellent.

Wool is expensive, but fleece could be a good and cheap option. We have excellent fleece wraps from Wee Notions, Stacinator and Upsy Daisy and a couple of fleece soakers from snugglebots. Fleece doesn't need lanolising, can be washed with/without fabric conditioner and is fast drying (especially when thrown on a radiator)!

Saskia wrote:Also, do the fitteds you mentioned need boosting or are they all one thing (apart from the wrap)? I know you can probably boost all nappies, but do you have to with the fitteds - if so what do you use?

The fitteds I have mentioned don't need extra boosting for Blake and last 4 hours (or probably more) as they come with plenty. They have the boosters poppered in to them. Wee Notions Northern Lights and Flutterby Fluff are also excellent.
DH prefers ones that don't have boosters poppered in (ones that have all of the layers sewn within the nappy) - his favourite fitteds are bamboo motherease sandys as they are more like a disposable to put on - but they are painfully slow drying as they can't have layers taken out to dry iyswim?

My avatar
Saskia
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Saskia » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I have just bought 2 Goodmamas nappies and a pair of longies/crops to try out from classifieds!

I hope they work - I still can't get my head around how wool doesn't leak!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Blueberry side snaps are nice. I was all about the Fuzzis, mediums still fit us now as a night nappy and I used them from 7 months. Best inserts for me were Greenkids bamboo with a microfibre cloth on top for quick absorbency, if you buy more inserts than nappies you can have the inserts for less than a fiver and the nappies dry in no time. Greemkids anytimes are nice nappies too but aplix so you wouldn't like them. I also used to really like Pocketbots but I'm not sure if they still make them (anyone know???) , you might get some secondhand tho

I have kept my favourite BBSS I loved it that much.........and I wouldn't worry about cost too much, you can always sell them on secondhand on here!

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat