Help for a newbie

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Help for a newbie

Postby littlesez » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Ittis are FAB!!!! they are not really made for heavy wetters, however you can buy mini boosters to add absorbency. The snap in ones are the outer shell and boosters separate so you can pull apart and dry separatley however i find they still take longer to dry than the all in ones which have the booster sewn in. The snap in ones are more absorbent IMO and I find them trimmer. I like having both in my stash :) weenotions are a firm favourite and best with ptits dessous inserts. I have tried lots and lots of different nappies and they are my absolute faves!

Others I have tried and liked are bumgenious and blueberries.

As for fitteds for a newborn I would reccomend little lambs or terry squares. I used PUL (plastic) wraps for the newborn stage as i found they were good for containment of BF poo! I know only use wool wraps or fleece becasue on chunkier thighs i didnt like PUL which left red marks :( (fine on skinny newborn legs though!)

A nappy bucket is a good idea or you could just have a XL wetbag next to the washer. any other Q's just ask!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:54 pm

rachymoo wrote:Right so... another thick question (lol) - what do I need a bucket/bin for? Is it just for keeping them in until I wash them? Or do I have to soak them in something first? And the mesh bag - do you have to wash them in a bag then?

I have NO idea what the different types on nappies are, lol - I vaguely know what an AI1 and a pocket is (and have been told they are generally the easiest to use...) but that's it. What's a fitted nappy? :oops: God I feel really really thick now.

Rach xx

the bucket is for keeping dirty nappies in to keep lid on smells, i wouldn't bother with mesh bag. A fitted nappy is a nappy which is made of absorbent material then you need a wrap over the top. A pocket has a waterproof layer inside already so you dont need a wrap then you need to but an booster to stuff in the pocket to make it absorbent. All in ones have an outer shell with hidden waterproof layer and then the boosters lay or snap in the inside

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for answering all my many, many, many questions, really appreciate it :)

Ok so a question (another one LOL) - if I want to buy a boosters for my Itti Bitti's, is it one that is specifically made for Itti Bitti's or is it something that fits any nappy? I have ordered an AIO and a SIO (both Itti Bitti D'lish) xx

My avatar
Twinmamma
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Twinmamma » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi,

Don't worry about all your questions. I learnt everything I know from this website! The ladies on here are just brilliant :wine:

You don't have to soak the nappies first, they can go into your bin, bucket or bag as they are though you will want to tip any 'extras' into the toilet first. When babies are just doing milk poo then that generally won't tip off the nappy. You have a couple of choices then, one is you just throw them into the machine and your first cold rinse will get rid of it before it's washed, another is that you buy some biodegradeable paper type liners which will catch the poo and you can throw them into the toilet and flush them away. I tend to do the first option as the paper liners aren't very soft.
The fitted nappies that need a wrap have turned out to be brilliant for us. I love using wool over them as it isn't sweaty like the PUL type wrap (which is a bit like plastic ). I still marvel at the fact that the wool doesn't leak at all!
The classifieds on here are great too. I echo what lots of ladies have already said, they allow you to try lots of different nappies without spending the earth and of course, the ones you don't get on with, you can sell on again :D

Good Luck!

P.S With Ittis, the boosters are specifically made for them as they snap in. The boosters will snap into the AIO and the snap in ones, both have poppers for them.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat