hf1

Getting my big girl dry

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Getting my big girl dry

Postby Annette » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 am

The problem is that night wetting is totally different to the daytime. In the day, they are awake and can develop an awareness of when they need to go and be "trained" by removing the nappy and them getting wet. However at night, the signals from the bladder to the brain do not always develop until as much as 6 or 7 years. So my feeling is that forcing a child to "train" by allowing them to wet the bed every night could just be detrimental and make them feel bad.

Charlotte was definately one who could actually sleep through wetting the bed, she didn't even realise. I remember one night trying without a nappy when she was around 3 (so had been dry in the day for a year), she went to bed at 7pm after a wee, I went to lift her at 10pm and she had already wet the bed and was fast asleep. She then slept until she woke up complaining about being cold at 6am - this was because she had weed sometime in the night and not woken so was now wet and cold. She went back to sleep and woke at 7.30am having wet the bed again.

As you say you think she is saving it up till morning then It might be worth a try doing as Jules said and putting a potty in the room but I think sometimes you have to accept that for some children it can take longer than others.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:25 am

Annette wrote:The problem is that night wetting is totally different to the daytime. In the day, they are awake and can develop an awareness of when they need to go and be "trained" by removing the nappy and them getting wet. However at night, the signals from the bladder to the brain do not always develop until as much as 6 or 7 years. So my feeling is that forcing a child to "train" by allowing them to wet the bed every night could just be detrimental and make them feel bad.

The idea behind it wasn't to leave them in a wet bed or "force" a child to "train", but that if a child is holding off weeing until morning and then doing it in the nappy simply because they have one on then taking the nappy off (and protecting the bed) would mean that they would learn that there is no nappy on and they would then get up to use the toilet/potty. I know that putting a potty in my son's room would amount to nothing, he'd still go in a nappy if he had one on, but I also know that it might take a few nights/mornings for him to realise that he didn't have the nappy on and would probably just wee because that's what he's been doing for so long iyswim.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 am

ladybird wrote:
Annette wrote:The problem is that night wetting is totally different to the daytime. In the day, they are awake and can develop an awareness of when they need to go and be "trained" by removing the nappy and them getting wet. However at night, the signals from the bladder to the brain do not always develop until as much as 6 or 7 years. So my feeling is that forcing a child to "train" by allowing them to wet the bed every night could just be detrimental and make them feel bad.

The idea behind it wasn't to leave them in a wet bed or "force" a child to "train", but that if a child is holding off weeing until morning and then doing it in the nappy simply because they have one on then taking the nappy off (and protecting the bed) would mean that they would learn that there is no nappy on and they would then get up to use the toilet/potty. I know that putting a potty in my son's room would amount to nothing, he'd still go in a nappy if he had one on, but I also know that it might take a few nights/mornings for him to realise that he didn't have the nappy on and would probably just wee because that's what he's been doing for so long iyswim.

I wasn't suggesting that was what you meant, and I did say that it was worth a try to do as Jules had suggested to see how it went. But I was also pointing out that some children just don't have the ability to recognise they need to go to the toilet when they are asleep :wink:

My avatar
GeoMax
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby GeoMax » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:37 am

This thread has been very interesting to me. I think my DS1 also only wees first thing in the morning. He also still loves to poo in his night nappy :roll: . He normally wakes and has a potter around his room before disturbing me and DP, and likes to have a poo. On the rare occassions I wake him up, he is usually dry. I think I may just try him nappy free at night and see what happens, if hes not ready then the nappies will stay a bit longer. He also still has milk at night with DS2 after storytime, which he loves....not sure how I can stop that if little brother is still having his milk :-? . Any ideas?

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:37 am

We were very lucky with Kai in that he was clean & dry in the day early & for a long time- when he was just 2 we decided we'd try without a night nappy (he was still waking up soaked, but he was getting confused at wearing one at night) & he remained dry!!

We were shocked & delighted- we would lift him at around 10 & he'd wake if he needed a wee.....

I know we were lucky (in some ways!!) as he's a light sleeper & definately aware of everything....

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat