hf1

Which nappies are the quickest drying?

My avatar
babytoo
Clothie
Clothie

Which nappies are the quickest drying?

Postby babytoo » Sat May 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Hello, I am due to have baby no.2 in November and am tentatively thinking about going down the cloth nappy route.

However, if we go this way we would need to buy nappies that are very fast drying due to where we live (tiny flat on 4th floor). We have a couple of small radiators but the only place we could really hang them is on the heated rail in the bathroom.

I have done a bit of research and want to use AIO's for convenience and I am thinking of going for one of these nappy brands;

Close pop-in microfibre nappies
Itti Bitti d'lish nappies
Coolababy nappies

I am not sure which is the quickest drying though. If anyone can recommend any other brands that dry really quickly I would definitely consider using them. I know I can buy the Itti Bitti's and Close pop-in's with my local council nappy voucher and the Coolababys cheaply from ebay.

Also, just to add, if anyone knows what the resell value/popularity of any of these nappies are I'd be grateful to know.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Which nappies are the quickest drying?

Postby Caroline » Sat May 29, 2010 2:17 pm

All in ones will take the longest of any nappy to dry. The Itti Bitti Snap in Ones are quite slow drying too due to being hemp/bamboo, even though they come apart. Coolababy are pockets so should dry fairy quickly, though I have never used one myself. Pocket nappies and microfibre will dry the quickest generally speaking but they wont be the most absorbent.

My avatar
Saskia
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Saskia » Sat May 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Hello :idea: Congrats on your pregnancy!

Fit and absorbancy wise (at least initially) and for a good all rounder I think you'd be best going for the Pop-ins. Ittis are very much a love or hate nappy, and many people find they have periods of them not fitting baby well - plus they are sized so would be more expensive having to buy the next size up as baby grows.

You need to bear in mind that not all nappies suit all babies, so I think buying a birth-potty pack of one type of nappy could potentially be an expensive mistake. You will probably be better off buying one or 2 nappies at a time and getting a feel of what works best for you. Buying gradually and experimenting is the most cost effective and fun way to do it in my experience!

Incidently, my first nappies were 12 preloved Pop-ins, which were fine for the first few weeks as I bought others to try out - but after a while we didnt get on with the fit and started to get a few leaks. I also said from the start I'd only use AIOs/pockets as they are easiest - however my nappy collection now mostly consists of fitteds, which we use under wool! :D

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat May 29, 2010 2:55 pm

I would choose a pocket over an AIO really, i havnt used pop-ins but i have got some coolababy and they are cheap and chearful to be honist, with being a pocket they dry very quickly and the Microfibre inserts also dry very quickly...only thing is that you might need to add some hemp/bamboo into them as your baby grows for more absorbancy...you could just get more of these than you actually need rather than the exact amount to allow for them taking a little while to dry though...

We use mostly fitted nappies under wool with the iccasional pocket nappy thrown in for change :wink:

COngrats on your pregnancy :)

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:30 pm

pockets are definatly my quickest drying nappy, especially the ones with microfibre insert! we use fuzzi bunz find the perfect size ones fab! alister at 21lb is still in the mediums on tighest snaps :)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat May 29, 2010 3:55 pm

I agree with what people said, pockets are def the quickest dring nappy but the inserts can take a while to dry if they are bamboo or hemp. Itt's aren't the most reliable nappy about and although I never used them on a newborn I shouldn't imagine that they would contain baby poo the best and the inserts take a while to dry x

My avatar
becky
Clothie
Clothie

Postby becky » Sat May 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Of those 3, the Pop Ins are definitely the quickest drying. I like mine but wouldn't have just those in my stash. I have lots of Ittis and really like them, but wouldn't want them in a tiny flat with no drying room, they take an entire day on the line to dry. I have a couple of Coolababy AIOs but you can get a pocket version too, they dry pretty quick though. Pop Ins are one size which is obviously more cost effective than sized Ittis. Pockets would be your best bet for fast drying though because they come apart, especially if you were only using microfibre inserts. Bumgenius V3s or Fuzzi Bunz are both reliable I've found.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sat May 29, 2010 5:39 pm

For quick drying you need to stick to microfibre - Bumgenius are the most reliable across all baby types from what I've seen and have 2 microfibre inserts. We had fuzzis as well but the inserts aren't as good and I ended up with hemp boosters, no good for quick drying.

My sister used Tots Bots Fluffles (now discontinued I think but you could try to get some secondhand) - she said they dried in an hour on a warm radiator :shock: , they are a 2 parter tho so need a wrap.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sat May 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I agree with what other people have said re: pockets being quickest to dry.

I have also been using snap-in itti's on my newborn in recent weeks, and would advise against them if they are the only one's you're buying. For little ones, the bulk of the insert pushes the edge of the nappy away from the leg causing 'leg gape' - when this happens, poo and wee flows out the side. It doesn't happen all the time, but I found it much worse for the first 4-8 weeks of Clara's life. Now she's getting bigger, they don't gape at the leg so much and haven't leaked in a week or two. I still love using the itti's, but have increased my stash of pockets as it got to the point where I put itti's on and expected them to leak so if going out of the house it wasn't an option.

Also keep in mind that all-sized nappies tend to be huge on newborns - I've got some bum genius and some others that popper up the front to make them shorter for newborns - but these are so wide in the leg, I could and did use them from the start, but they also had leg gape for a while because they were so wide.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat