hf1

Despairing over a Heavy wetter

My avatar
irishmel
Clothie
Clothie

Despairing over a Heavy wetter

Postby irishmel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Do cloth nappies drive anyone else to despair at times? My 15 month old daughter is such a heavy wetter and despite trying loads of different inserts and nappy types, we battle with daily leaks and I seem to be permanently looking for places to change her nappy. I've read lots of your suggestions etc on this forum, and it seems that it is a common problem and that there are no "wonder" nappies. She sleeps 12 plus hours a night and as I can barley get 3 hours from a ridiculously boosted nappy, I can't ever imagine finding a night nappy. Her pampers are past her knees when I take them off! I mainly use bamboo and am trying hemp with bamboo (which is getting me about 3 hrs). I use fuzzi bunz and pop-ins with some Itti Bitii all in ones. I can't stuff any more than I do in without her bum being ridiculously large, and they just gape more at the legs then.

I am also finding bamboo a nightmare to dry- having 2 now in nappies at least 30 min's a day is spent turning them over on the clothes horse, rolling up wipes, popping inserts back into nappies etc. I love cloth, but am finding them very tiresome at the moment and need some encouragement and suggestions!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Despairing over a Heavy wetter

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:48 pm

No.1 how much does she drink during the day?
Does she drink water, squash, juice or milk?
I have always found that if my LOs drink milk and water their volumes are controllable even with unlimited access to milk and water... Whereas a cup of juice or squash goes through them in about 10mins :lol:

Fluff and Stuff heavy wetter nappies are brilliant...

It could be your nappies need stripping...
As for nights - night wetting is different to day wetting...

puddlekins do custom absorbency nappies - weigh one of her disps when it's full in the morning and that approximates to how many ml of fluid you need a night nappy to contain.

Do you use PUL wraps or Wool or Fleece?

What nappies are you using at the moment?

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:50 pm

I had a similar experience when Noah was the same age as your LO, it was driving me crazy and i was very close to losing the will with cloth. He could outpee an unboosted nappy in half an hour. :roll:

What i ended up doing was converting to fitteds, i admitted defeat with pockets because they just wouldn't last long enough and i lost faith in them. He now wears mainly nappies that are dedicated night nappies and they last a good three hours in the day.

They do settle down though, Noah's not half as bad as he was a year ago...

My avatar
irishmel
Clothie
Clothie

Postby irishmel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:10 pm

She only has water and milk- admittedly she is teething and off her food and drinking loads of milk at the moment, but this is not a new problem. My darling daughter is, and always has been a whirlwind and nappy changing is challenging at the best of times. I can barely get one nappy on her without a huge struggle, non-stop singing, 10 distraction objects and a lot of energy, so 2 part systems are really not attractive to me, though I am going to try some Little Lambs with my 8 week old. I shall weigh the nappy tomorrow. I have looked at some of the Fluff and Stuff nappies on the net, but prefer to actually look at nappies in person as I always find the descriptions etc confusing. I guess they only sell on-line??

How do you strip nappies?? I did post an earlier query wondering if my fuzzies etc were breaking down.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:19 pm

2 part nappies are much more absorbant than aio/ai2 & pockets. I know they are easier to use but I can't use aio/ai2 at all with my heavy wetter. If I use pockets, I stuff them with a petit dessous bamboo insert with a easy peasy hemp booster, by far the best combo for a heavy wetter. They don't don't last quite as long as my fitted nappies. You might need to branch out into fitteds.

Little lamb bamboos are great. Only the bamboo ones work well for heavy wetters. I'd invest in an extra pack of their boosters too. They are really good boosters. When I put on dd's little lambs, I fold the tongue in half so there is extra layers in the wet zone.

HTH

My avatar
Jamling
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Jamling » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:56 pm

It can become very disheartening dealing with a heavy wetter.

After trying countless different nappies this is what we ended up using -

Daytime, mostly Babybeehinds Minkee Magicalls, they are an AIO but also have a pocket for extra boosting. They come with a bamboo fleece booster and I always used that and sometimes a tots bamboo booster as well. I've just sold all mine as Jamie has potty trained otherwise could have lent you one to try. We also have a few Happy Heiny onesize pockets which I used with a weenotions nightime insert which worked great too, still got these so you're welcome to try them if you like. I know you're not so keen on fitted but Little Comforts make nice bamboo nappies that are one size so could be used on both you LOs they come with 2 boosters and I used to add an additional bamboo fleece booster from Greenkids. Litle lambs were great but Jamie outgrew the rise on the size 2 quite quickly.

Nightime either a tots bots bamboo with tots booster and green kids booster and then boosted on the outside with a weenotions nightnotions insert. Also use a Stuffie nappy with 2 Little Big weed hemp inserts and a bit of bamboo or one little big weed with a Weenotions NightNotion bamboo insert.Then fleece soaker from Dancing Bears, very roomy and works fantastically well, better than wool for us.

Probably too much detail :roll: there but hope it helps and that you find a solution.

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 pm

irishmel wrote:My darling daughter is, and always has been a whirlwind and nappy changing is challenging at the best of times. I can barely get one nappy on her without a huge struggle,.

I had to blow bubbles whilst changing nappies at some point as she was absolutely terrible. It WAS a challenge. :giggle:
2 parters would definitely help with a heavy wetter though.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 pm

My DD is a very heavy wetter (she drinks about 1.5 litres of milk/water per day - she's not allowed juice as I dread to think how much she'd drink if she just liked the taste!). We gave up on pockets when she was outpeeing a hemp Wonderful, hemp booster and bamboo booster in under 2 hours and now only use fitteds and wool. Ittis were useless. You can always pop the nappy together (if you use popper nappies) and then pull it on, to make nappy changes easier. And wool acts as clothing, too, so that also makes things a little quicker.

As for specific brands of nappy, Puddlekins customs are great. We have a few of Emma's nappies and they're customised to my DD's wetting. Iris' night nappies are huge! (And I mean huuuuuge.) But they work, and that's all that matters. (Iris can outpee disposables in under 3 hours, so they're not an option here. Although her nursery refuses to use cloth so, ironically, end up changing her disposables more often than they'd need to a cloth nappy! Silly people. I digress ...) I found Fluff N Stuff heavy wetters useless. So I guess I'm saying it's a case of trial and error as to what works. But bamboo nappies are definitely fab for heavy wetters. And I find WAHM nappies much more reliable than the bigger brands.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:32 pm

I like fitteds but my dh prefers pockets.our most reliable pockets have been greenkids with 2 of the greenkids double bamboo inserts in.we also use bumgenius stuffed with a ptit dessous insert and 2 easy peasy hemp inserts which lasts 2 to 3 hours mostly.at night we have been using flutter by fluff nights but have to boost them with 2 or 3 boosters to last the night.we have a customised puddlekins night nappy which has been great.others find the luscious little somethings night nappies good.
We've also used a standard minki but have to stuff with 2 pd bamboo and 3 ep hemp so get a big bum!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat