Best for chunkies?

My avatar
Bumblingbee
Clothie
Clothie

Best for chunkies?

Postby Bumblingbee » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this cloth business :idea: but have tried a couple of clothies as my sister has loads for her little one. Only thing is, her baby is 17months old and only a couple of pounds difference in weight with my 4 month old! My daughter is well over 16lbs now and has the chunkiest, most edible thighs in the world. So i know cloth bums create bulk, but which do you think are the best for chunky monkey's like mine?

Thanks!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Best for chunkies?

Postby Shaunie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi, Are you looking at pocket nappies or 2 parters?

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Bumblingbee wrote:My daughter is well over 16lbs now and has the chunkiest, most edible thighs in the world.

:giggle: Nothing better than a pair of tasty, munchable bubba thighs is there..???? My DS was a chunk 9lbs 30z monkey from birth and now, at 18 momths, he still has them even tho his waist has slimmed down a lot. I enjoy nothing better than having a good nibble on them whenever I can :giggle:

As for nappies that suit chunky babies. For pockets and AIOs I would say stick with applix or side-snapping nappies as they will allow a better, snugger fit than front-fastening. I found that I got lots of gape around the wasit and thighs with front-fastening pockets which resulted in more leaks. Good examples of applix pockets are: BumGenius, Happy Heinys and Greenkids. For side-snapping pockets give Weentions a whirl as they are a very snug fit.

For fitteds I don't have as much as a problem and have quite a few front-fastening ones as I always use wool with fitteds and this stops any potential leaks.

I would say browse the classifieds and try a few different brands pre-loved to find which suit you rather than buying lots of new nappies to try. The good thinkg with cloth tho is even if you do buy new and then find it doesn't work you can always sell it on and make most of your money back :wink: Also check out the reviews section as this in invaluable when starting out :D

Most importantly is have fun building your stash :wink:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:51 pm

Emma1977 wrote:
Bumblingbee wrote:My daughter is well over 16lbs now and has the chunkiest, most edible thighs in the world.

:giggle: Nothing better than a pair of tasty, munchable bubba thighs is there..????

So very true

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:18 pm

We also have jumbo thighs here :giggle:
Rufus is rather heavy too, almost 20lb now! :shock:
I find Guerilla Fluff & Dunk n Fluff to be the best fit for his little waist & big thighs. These are fitted & need a wrap, the best wrap I find is Thirsties Duo (Sz2)

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:40 pm

I've found Sandy's are generous around the thighs, DS needed larges at 4 months though (on the loosest leg and tightest waist)

For pockets, coolababy's are very good for chunky thighs. DS couldn't wear bumgenius until well after 4m as the legs were too tight when on the middle rise setting,they've only fitted him since not needing to shorten the rise anymore.

My avatar
Bumblingbee
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Bumblingbee » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:09 am

Shaunie wrote:Hi, Are you looking at pocket nappies or 2 parters?

Sorry, pockets - still getting used to all the lingo and different types of nappies!

Thanks all - am getting some BumGenius, have heard Itti's are good for chunkies too? Will have a look out for the other suggestions. And yes - the thighs are just the most delicious things to nibble on! Followed closely by the buddha belly :giggle:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat