hf1

whats the catch with BG's?!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: whats the catch with BG's?!

Postby ems101 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:57 am

Is this a pocket nappy? Would I cope with the switch?!!

http://www.babipur.co.uk/shop/Washable_ ... _info.html

Em x

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:06 am

ems101 wrote:Is this a pocket nappy? Would I cope with the switch?!!

http://www.babipur.co.uk/shop/Washable_ ... _info.html

Em x

I've never used it, but yes it is a pocket, and is made in Scotland so not far to travel.

BG worked well for us this time, but didn't work for Connor as he outwee'd all pockets. Having said that, I didn't know about different types of inserts, detergent build-up, etc back then. Finn's just come out of nappies and our BG would certainly last another baby. Two were bought preloved, so have definitely done more than one baby!

ETA I've always been about functionality over prettiness too, but you'll be in the minority here :giggle: In fairness there seem to be quite a few nappies which do both, but with the odd exception I haven't really tried them as once we found what worked we stuck with it.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:14 am

smilinglou wrote:Rubbish elastic, it's just terrible after a while, with the new version one of their points is that the elastic is easy to replace, doesnt that just advertise how naf it is/was.

I had a little giggle when I read that on a site advertising them :lol: All my BGs have shot elastic, they havent been used that much. I'm not a fan of onesize nappies either, they never fit newborns well and struggle round an older toddler's hips, especially if they are velcro, they just fell off DD or else she pulled them off :roll:

One of the pluses of cloth nappies is that they can be used for future babies, but fitted nappies (without the waterproof layer) seem to be the best at surviving. I had to throw out a lot of pockets of DD's that had lost the elastic, become leaky or where the velcro had given up. But dont worry if your nappies dont make it to the next baby (well, they probably should anyway, but I can't imagine BGs lasting through to the next LO's potty training without needing some repairs), you should already have saved money by not using disposables, as well as environmental benefits.

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:16 am

It looks like an AIO (all in one) nappy - everything is attached - but with space for extra boosting. This means it will probably take longer to dry than a Bumgenius. It also had bamboo in it, which makes it more absorbent... but again increases the drying time. I haven't seen or used one, so this is all supposition. :lol:
There's more info here
If you are thinking of trying them, you could put a Wanted ad on here and buy one pre-loved, to save a bit of money!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:22 am

pinback wrote:It looks like an AIO (all in one) nappy - everything is attached - but with space for extra boosting.

Oh yes, so it is, not a pocket like I said. Looks quite good though wouldn't have been good for us as no tumble dryer to help dry all those layers.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:30 am

The catches for us:

- DD could undo them as they're aplix, so they never stayed on.
- DD could outpee them. And she was only little, really, when she started being able to do that (about 8 months? Could be wrong.) And that was despite completely ditching the MF and using hemp/bamboo inserts. But, to be fair, DD could outpee all pockets. Pockets just don't cut the mustard with heavy wetters.
- they're a one size nappy, so they were quite bulky on her as a newborn and there's no way that they'd fit her now as a toddler.
- they have PUL in them. (Having made the switch solely to fitteds and wool, this is a big no-no here. I've got very into my natural materials.)
- I don't think they're very well made. The aplix came off in places very quickly (poor stitching) and the elastic was starting to go baggy by the time we'd stopped using them. Yes, I'd bought new.
- they're not WAHM and I prefer to support WAHMs, rather than large companies.
- they're ugly. :giggle:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:33 am

the catch for me is the applix died after a few months gggrrr

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:07 am

Thank you, I might get a couple fo different types, but like you i like to know what im doing and then stick to it! Im not against prettyness, I just find the juxtaposition of trying to be more ethical/green with people buying WAY more nappies than they need because they are pretty hard to swallow!

God Im a grouch...

Em x

My avatar
trishy28
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby trishy28 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:07 pm

ems101 wrote:Thank you, I might get a couple fo different types, but like you i like to know what im doing and then stick to it! Im not against prettyness, I just find the juxtaposition of trying to be more ethical/green with people buying WAY more nappies than they need because they are pretty hard to swallow!

God Im a grouch...

Em x

i have bought way more than i need - cos they are pretty - but have also taken very good care of them and they will sell on and be used on another botty - so still green in my eyes! cos at the end of the day - no matter how many cloth nappies i buy - i'm not dumping pee and poo and chemicals in landfill.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat