hf1

Boy-ish nappies

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Boy-ish nappies

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:15 am

Having found out that we're expecting a baby boy ( :mrgreen: ), I've been on the hunt for more boy-ish nappies. I don't know if it's because I'm so used to buying for Iris, but all the more boy-ish things seem ... well, boring. (With huge apologies to those with boys!) I'm OK at buying more gender neutral stuff (prints like mint zoo or GHMILY; or colours like green or purple), but I just can't seem to bring myself to get specifically boy-type nappies. (Yes, I know I could just use pink/pretty ones on him, but I don't think he'd thank me in years to come when he looks back on his baby photos! :giggle:)

I'm also trying to make an effort to pick up some pockets, too. I remember that Iris was a nightmare at changing time when she learned how to crawl, so best to get back into them sooner rather than later, as I'm probably going to have to use them at some point. But the very thought of PUL makes me shudder, so I'm finding it difficult. I've become too hard core with Iris' uber-wetting and only fitteds and wool appeal. :roll:

Has anyone got any favourite boy nappies that they'd like to point me in the direction of? :)

Oh, and as an aside. How much wool do you think I'd need for a newborn? We didn't get into it until Iris was about four months old - and even then she only had a couple of pairs of longies, so wasn't in wool much! I was still into pockets at that stage.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Boy-ish nappies

Postby littlesez » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:00 am

probably not much use here! but wanted to try.

I think newborn your probably best off with fitteds and a wrap. If you get any poo leaks the last thing you need if washing wool every day with a newborn eh? I know what you mean about pul though maybe get a few of each. Its hard to say how much wool because if they dont get pooed on of course you can reuse it loads without washing.

You probably wont need to worry so much about heavy wetter thing straight away as they dont stay in the nappies very long at that age but maybe something to think about for the future. Pockets wise i reckon go for BTP because if pockets dont work for you when he is tiny you have them for later on. hmmm pretty one sizes? what about WNOS. I think WN could be your best option as you can customise it then to make it very boyish.

HTH xxx

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:39 am

I was in the same boat, there's just nothing exciting out there for boys. Well, I have a few, but nothing I'm dancing round the room about iykwim. Why don't you make some? Do you have anyone over there that embroiders onto your own things? The few boyish nappies I have are Dunk and Fluffs and a couple of pocket nappies from WN (one pirate and one monkey), but most of Kellans are GN because I just can't find things I like. I did manage to get some Superman cotton knit like the d&f's from the US, so am going to make a couple of nappies out of that :giggle: It's partly why I bought my embroidery machine, I decided there's just not enough boys nappies and clothes around, so I want to make some :D

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:45 am

most of ours are gender neutral partic the teeny ones.our boyish ones are d n f prints and some more boy coloured obv.we have a few wn embroidered ones too.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:48 am

Soupdragon wrote:Having found out that we're expecting a baby boy ( :mrgreen: ), I've been on the hunt for more boy-ish nappies. I don't know if it's because I'm so used to buying for Iris, but all the more boy-ish things seem ... well, boring. (With huge apologies to those with boys!) I'm OK at buying more gender neutral stuff (prints like mint zoo or GHMILY; or colours like green or purple), but I just can't seem to bring myself to get specifically boy-type nappies. (Yes, I know I could just use pink/pretty ones on him, but I don't think he'd thank me in years to come when he looks back on his baby photos! :giggle:)

Yep, I know that feeling. I have a lot more GN nappies for Jake rather than particularly boyish ones.

Soupdragon wrote:I'm also trying to make an effort to pick up some pockets, too. I remember that Iris was a nightmare at changing time when she learned how to crawl, so best to get back into them sooner rather than later, as I'm probably going to have to use them at some point. But the very thought of PUL makes me shudder, so I'm finding it difficult. I've become too hard core with Iris' uber-wetting and only fitteds and wool appeal. :roll:

As you know, I was like that with Bella too, but I'm not actually liking fitteds and wool on Jake. I actually prefer Ittis and Bambooties on him, mostly because they are much slimmer and I really don't like the bulk of fitted nappies (or BTPs) on a small-ish baby :oops:

Soupdragon wrote:Has anyone got any favourite boy nappies that they'd like to point me in the direction of? :)

Erm, nope. I need some more actually, but not really sure what to get atm. Tempted by the cheap Easyfits.

Soupdragon wrote:Oh, and as an aside. How much wool do you think I'd need for a newborn? We didn't get into it until Iris was about four months old - and even then she only had a couple of pairs of longies, so wasn't in wool much! I was still into pockets at that stage.

Jake has 2 pairs of longies (with another in the pipeline), 2 soakers, a pair of shorties and a very old Couche Cover. But as I said, he's not in full time wool, so doesn't really need that much.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:49 am

i find it hard to find boyish nappy but i have but there not as nice as the girly ones

My avatar
breyah
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby breyah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:51 am

I've been finding the same with boyinsh nappies, mostly we just use Tots Bots Bamboozles Stretchy with blue or green wraps, however, we have just invested in some weehuggers, which come in lots of lovely patterns, several of which are boy-ey. Here's Henry in one... Image
However these are a two part nappy not a pocket, so probably so help! Sorry!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:52 am

Making Bub some nappies is on my (ever expanding :roll: ) WIP list. They're easy enough to knock out, so I just need to find time. I have a stack of nappy fabric, some FQ for prints and heaps of dye. And I can get nappy cuts embroidered, too. :wine: I think I might even have the Darling Diapers pattern (that DnF, amongst others, use) kicking around somewhere ... So while that's part of my plan, I definitely don't want to make everything and want something to buy.

Bulk! Thanks for the reminder, Tanya. Must consider that. Iris had a huge bum for the first few months (and still does now, but for entirely different reasons!). Might aim for about 6 soakers, then. They'll dry in no time, so not worth getting too many.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:30 am

Soupdragon wrote: And I can get nappy cuts embroidered, too. :wine: I think I might even have the Darling Diapers pattern (that DnF, amongst others, use) kicking around somewhere ...

If you do want to buy some embroidered nappy cuts, have a look at Oh How Gorgeous on Etsy, she's on Oz and does some great designs!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat