hf1

Heavy wetter ....how do you know?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Heavy wetter ....how do you know?

Postby anya1973 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:51 am

Daft question I know! But I can't decide if DS is a heavy wetter or not.

I used cloth nappies on DD from about 5 months. We used rainbow tots and ME airflows for a while then switched to pocket nappies (minkis) when she was a bit older. I don't think she was particularly heavy wetter as the rainbow tots were fine unboosted for her during the day and I know they are considered to be thinner than the other tots.

DS2 is 12 weeks and I have been using rainbow tots and little lambs during the day, unboosted. They seem saturated when I change him but I'm wondering if I don't change him often enough.

How can you tell if your little one is a heavy wetter? Obviously having a boy in cloth is different from a girl as he wets at the front of the nappy but I don't know how I can tell if he's a heavy wetter or just 'average'.

Is there a test? Say change him after a set length of time and compare how wet the nappy is with someone using the same nappy but on an 'average' wetter?

I wonder if I just need to change him more often. :?

Help! I'm struggling to decide what nappies to use on him.

He's grown out of his little lambs already (long body and chunky thighs) and I'm worried the ME airflows have been causing red marks on his thighs - someone on another forum mentioned that some babies react to the bindings. Not heard of that before though.

Would really like to use pocket nappies for speed of drying as we don't have a tumble drier. Any recommendations?

Criteria:

Side snapping if possible
Fleece lined
Sized rather than one-size
Money no object :lol:
Prefer WAHM made if possible

What do you reckon ladies? :D

Helen xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Heavy wetter ....how do you know?

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:05 am

I found Louis was a very heavy wetter at that age as he was taking so much milk! How long is he going between changes?

Pocket nappies by wahms that are side snappers - Pocket bots (go for poly with the wetting issues), Upsy Daisy and of course Wee Notions! Have fun shopping and let us know what you get!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:13 am

I decided my DD was a heavy wetter when:

a) A BG insert on it's own would last no more than 1 - 1.5 hours. Some people were saying they could get up to 4 hours from just the MF insert :shock: She has at least one hemp booster in all her pockets.

Think we are gonna have to increase this to 2 very soon as she's outweeing her nappies again. She has suddenly started drinking a lot of water - coincides with feeding solids.

b) She outwees night nappies, unless heavily boosted. The only nappy I seem to be able to get away with minimal boosting at night (still involves cotton/terry, bamboo and hemp boosters!) is a Kiwi Quick Flip.

HTH

Tanya

ETA: Not sure on nappies to recommend as I don't have any which would fit your criteria, except a really nice WeeNotions cow print pocket. Scrummy :D

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:06 pm

I would say that an average wetter should be able to wear an unboosted tots or little lamb for 3-4 hours without it leaking.

Charlotte is a bit of a mix really. During the day, we are fine using unboosted meos or cotton pockets without problems for 4 hours. However she seems to do all of her weeing at night and despite last night putting her in a hemp and terry stuffie with 2 hemp boosters and a bamboo terry, her pjs and sheets were still soaking this morning!

How long do you currently go between changes and do they leak or are they just wet? I have also heard of babies reacting to the binding of me wraps but haven't experienced it myself.

I think even heavier wetters can use pockets - you just need to be careful in your choice and stuffing. Always go for poly outers, cotton would wick. And adding extra hemp boosters can get them to last quite a bit longer. So poly pocket bots and wee notions pockets are great or for non-wahm Blueberries are lovely and last us ages.

My avatar
emste76
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby emste76 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:29 pm

i would say a heavy wetter is when they are out weeing a little lamb motherease weenotions fitted with in two hours. Mine have both been heavy wtters and i have to change every couple of hours. I have used loads of different types. Pockets as above weenotions upsy daisy bear behinds. I have also used wonderoos and mommys touch.

My avatar
sueeltringham
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sueeltringham » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:28 pm

Ds was a heavy wetter. It didn't matter what I put on him at night, we always used cotton tots heavily boosted inside and out and he still leaked everywhere. In desperation I resorted to using dispicables, going at least one size up and he still soaked the cot and his sleepsuit. In the end he outgrew this phase in a few months. It is worth trying the next size up as a night nappy as you will be able to boost more. In the daytime change more frequently. I prefer fitted nappies and seperate wraps, but we always use wool nowadays.

Dd has been an entirely different story. She reacts to the binding on ME wraps, so we had to stop using them. We still use tots, but the bamboozles and other bamboo nappies, with wool outer. Sorry can't recommend any pockets as I'm not a fan of them. Good luck with your search,

Sue

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:40 pm

Well Isabelle out wee'd a blueberry hemp and MF OS insert in 1hr20mins yesterday :shock: but I think that's more because she's started holding her wee now and she had drunk buckets too...

Normally she'll go between 3 and 5 hours with a MF fuzzi insert and easy-peasy hemp booster (or home made)...

It varies on the ages really - around six months they drink a lot more and toddlers wee more too on average...

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:04 am

Velvetsteph wrote:Well Isabelle out wee'd a blueberry hemp and MF OS insert in 1hr20mins yesterday :shock: but I think that's more because she's started holding her wee now and she had drunk buckets too......

As much as I like the blueberry MF/hemp combo insert, Kayleigh always needs to have an easy peasy booster in there as well in order to last for more than 2 hours. It's like the hemp section isn't as absorbant as some other hemp inserts.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Rae wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote:Well Isabelle out wee'd a blueberry hemp and MF OS insert in 1hr20mins yesterday :shock: but I think that's more because she's started holding her wee now and she had drunk buckets too......

As much as I like the blueberry MF/hemp combo insert, Kayleigh always needs to have an easy peasy booster in there as well in order to last for more than 2 hours. It's like the hemp section isn't as absorbant as some other hemp inserts.

I'm starting to think that too... :?
I guess as the easypeasy is 6 layers - and the bb one is only two (4 when it layers up) and the mf secion is only small - it's hardly going to match a fuzzi mf insert with easypeasy hemp booster is it realistically...

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat