hf1

Best nappies for newborn.

My avatar
lilypie
Clothie
Clothie

Best nappies for newborn.

Postby lilypie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:40 pm

I am due in December, and am wanting to use cloth from as near to newborn as I can - so only really plan to use disposables whilst in hospital.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any nappies which are good for newborn babies? I have only brought some Totsbots Teenyfits so far (and have to admit this was mainly because they just look so adorable!) and I like how slim fitting they look in comparison to my BTP sized nappies - so am going to buy some more fitteds for the newborn stage.

As I am new to cloth, and the first of my friends/family to try it in a great number of years - I am hoping you could offer me some suggestions!

Thanks

LP x

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Best nappies for newborn.

Postby little1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:39 pm

My fave are : Bumbenius xs or small AIO's and totsbots size 1 stretchies and Little lambs for fitteds x

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Ive got Diddy diapers, Dunk n fluff and then just a massive variety of fitted nappies to try :wink: got 2 Teenyfits and 3 pocket nappies also (Weenotions and Neppula)

Hoping to find out what works for us best and sell the ones that dont and buy more of what do :lol:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 pm

I think for fit, reliability and cost you can't go far wrong with Sandy's. They're quite trim fitting (I bought the bamboo version) and fit for ages on my DD - I sold on the smalls before she outgrew them.

My avatar
Tootsgirl
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Tootsgirl » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Hiya

I think the best advice to to get 1 of each thing you fancy and give them a go after baby arrives, as you won't know what suits you until you try them.

I got on best with 2 parters ( a nappy and separate wrap) when DS was a baby. For the new baby (already... :giggle: ) I have some Easy Peasy bimbles, a diddy diaper and some XS sandies - along with some Rikki wraps, a nature babies wrap and a thirsties. And loads of terries. Most of them are left over from DS, i haven't gone mad...yet.... :lol:

My avatar
drliz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby drliz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:57 pm

firstly - good luck!
my 2 have been in cloth nappies since we got home, i think it's the best way to get into the swing of the cloth nappy thing - but i guess it does depend on how well you get into the swing of everything else on that roller coaster of new parent hood!
Both my girls have been large, (8lb12, & 9lb 8 :shock: ) so they fitted into small nappies easily, no need for any extra smalls. I have used tots bots bamboozles (favorite for loads of reasons, including the massive absorption & stay soft despite line drying), fluffles, and motherease sandys. I agree with previous post that Sandy's are a great new born fit. The only negative with them is that they are popper fastening, which doesn't give the flexibility of fit that velcro or nippa gives. and I think velcro is a little easier for the less motivated (dare i say...daddy?) or inexperienced nappy changer! There was one day when DD2 was in a sandy (4 poppers) airflow wrap (4 more) vest (3) and dungarees (9 poppers) and i got a bit fed up with poppers to say the least!
I tried Motherease one size and size 2 bamboozles at an early stage but although you could make them fit on, the poor baby gets totally swamped with nappy and I didn't like that. It's also tricky to get clothes to fit! Now that DD2 is a 15lb 4 monther with thighs like mine, she's graduating into these.
Hope that helps
Enjoy your baby when s/he arrives!
liz :wave:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Little Lambs and Diddy Diapers get my vote, I only used two-parters in the early days so can't comment on any pockets or AIOs.

My avatar
Lacuna
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Lacuna » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:28 pm

As lots of people have said get a few different ones to try if you're not sure. I would definitely recommend some 40x40 terries to bulk out the collection though. I used these on my DD2 with nappy nippas and motherase airflow xs wraps, just folded in half to make a triangle. I had the little ewe cotton ones as I got lent some, but if I were going to buy I'd go with bamboo ones. Even though bamboo is slow drying they're fast enough as they fold out flat. And then you can use them as snugglies, burp cloths, then as they get older as inserts in pockets, or extra boosting in night time nappies and things. Rather useful things and very small on teeny bums. DD2 was a homebirth so they were used from newly newborn :babyroll:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 pm

For mass produced nappies I would choose -

Pockets/AIOs
Teenyfits

Fitteds
XS sandies
size 0 bimbles