hf1

Belly bug

My avatar
moo54
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Belly bug

Postby moo54 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Just wondered what you ladies do when there's a bug in the house?

dd has made an awful mess of 5 nappies and a couple of outfits :puke: anyway, I am no way scraping or even sluicing, it's all going in the machine...even if I have to check the seal more :oops: but it's making me think that there will be sooooooooooo much poo in the machine, and I'm gonnna have to do more frequent washes as I can't wait until 2 nappies buckets are full of it (bleurgh) and that's a hit of electricity etc.

with ds I used to resort to sposies in the end when I was all pooed out........but I'm feeling it MUCH earlier this time round.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Belly bug

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Hmm I generally still stick with cloth but I do sluice to make sure most of the poo (and the bug!) goes away out of the house. I wear gloves to change him too and then alcohol hand gel after washing my hands. Yes OTT but so far I have dodged all the tummy bugs the kids and df have had. Id also get some nappy sanitiser (bioD or the miofresh) and also wash at 60.

Hope she feels better soon x

My avatar
moo54
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby moo54 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Do I need nappy santiser if I wash at 60'c then? Have never used it before, thought the heat killed all the bugs?

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Well I was told by the hospital when Ruairidh had salmonella that it dies at 62C or higher so I wanted to make sure it didnt spread. 60 should be ok but I am always a bit ott on bugs LOL

I also washed the nappies daily as I had lots and I hated them laying about.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:22 pm

You don't need sanitiser if you're washing at 60c, no. Most hospitals wash at 60c as far as I'm aware.
I would put the nappies in on a rinse cycle and then do a hot wash as normal, that should suffice.
I've never caught a tummy bug from any of my kids - kids get these things as they build up their immune systems - something we've been doing for more years than them. I just use basic, sensible hygiene, won't touch hand gel (except at the hospital) and the like. Our youngest had a 24hr tummy bug two weeks ago - so far none of the rest of us have had it.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat