hf1

Nappies for under 6lb babies

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Nappies for under 6lb babies

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:19 pm

:hug: I think it sounds positive that the obs hasn't said that you're specifically at risk. There's no reason to assume you will get the bug again, but even if you do, the obs has only said it *might* trigger contractions, not will. Think positive - he'll stay put and be a hefty Bub. ;) I definitely agree with Louise, though. Ditch cleaning the lizard - it's not worth the risk.

And I completely forgot about newborn HOs! :shock: I bought my friend one as a gift. She never even put it on her son. I must buy it off her. :wine:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Louise wrote:I would say its the lizard. They are a known carrier of salmonella which can be fatal to babies.

Pet reptiles and amphibians should be kept out of households where children aged less than 1 year and immunocompromised persons live. Families expecting a new child should remove the pet reptile from the home before the infant arrives.

I dont think its the lizard. We use hand sanitiser before and after feeding/handling/cleaning etc and im sure there is more chance of him getting something from us rather than us from him (positive ive read that somewhere), Charli - you might know?? x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:13 pm

No its definitely the other way round hun. Google salmonella lizard and baby and you'll get lots of cases where babies have become seriously ill. Take this one for example -

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Baby+kill ... 0109644534

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Louise wrote:No its definitely the other way round hun. Google salmonella lizard and baby and you'll get lots of cases where babies have become seriously ill. Take this one for example -

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Baby+kill ... 0109644534

Thats awful. Im sure when we got Barry we spoke at length with the reptile shop and online about lizards and young children/babies (as i was pregnant at the time) and seemed as long as you are on top of the cleaning it shouldnt be a problem (as with most pets). I think it might be worse if DP were to take over as things just dont get done when its him and the viv would get left :-?

Sarah x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:23 pm

I'd definitely see if you can get your OH to do the cleaning.

From here

As a reptile owner, it is important that you remain healthy as well. Following specific hygiene patterns will ensure that you do not catch any diseases that reptiles are prone to having. As with other reptiles, the Bearded Dragon can be a non-symptomatic carrier of Salmonella. Salmonella can be lethal to humans, especially children. Because of this it is important that you take measures to minimize the risk of catching Salmonella. Do not kiss your dragon and always wash your hands with soap or use a hand disinfectant. Disinfect any areas you used to clean cages, dishes, etc. If you use any sponges or scrubbers for cage cleaning, you should have a different set for you dragon and a set for your own dishes. All utensils used should be disinfected in 100% bleach. Children may also be more susceptible to catching Salmonella than adults and special care should be taken when they handle reptiles. If you are pregnant or have an child with an immune suppressing disease or disorder, it is not recommended that you own a reptile. If you become pregnant, you may need someone else to handle and clean your reptile’s enclosure.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Louise wrote:I'd definitely see if you can get your OH to do the cleaning.

From here

As a reptile owner, it is important that you remain healthy as well. Following specific hygiene patterns will ensure that you do not catch any diseases that reptiles are prone to having. As with other reptiles, the Bearded Dragon can be a non-symptomatic carrier of Salmonella. Salmonella can be lethal to humans, especially children. Because of this it is important that you take measures to minimize the risk of catching Salmonella. Do not kiss your dragon and always wash your hands with soap or use a hand disinfectant. Disinfect any areas you used to clean cages, dishes, etc. If you use any sponges or scrubbers for cage cleaning, you should have a different set for you dragon and a set for your own dishes. All utensils used should be disinfected in 100% bleach. Children may also be more susceptible to catching Salmonella than adults and special care should be taken when they handle reptiles. If you are pregnant or have an child with an immune suppressing disease or disorder, it is not recommended that you own a reptile. If you become pregnant, you may need someone else to handle and clean your reptile’s enclosure.

WSS
or try using disposables gloves etc

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:50 pm

princessliana wrote:
WSS
or try using disposables gloves etc

That might be better. DP isnt very good at doing things that need doing on time :roll: plus he has alot on his plate with 16hr work days at the moment.

Thinking about it though, the illness im getting seems to hit me every second monday (the only pattern ive found) which doesnt seem to par up with cleaning the lizards Viv (which i do daily or 2nd day at a push), and there is nothing i do/eat etc on a weekend i can link it to either :-? Its strange but its always a monday :-? (rota im my mind is next monday i will be ill apparently!)

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat