hf1

Nappies for under 6lb babies

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Nappies for under 6lb babies

Postby happytails » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:32 pm

tanya2007 wrote: If he is really early, he will end up in SCBU for a while anyway and a lot of SCBUs won't let you use cloth.

He will be nappyless then. Not having a sposie near his bottom :oops: :-? I dont see why they wouldnt let you use cloth, im not planning on telling the hospital if i do have him there. Obv im still hoping we hit term and i can have my homebirth but not sure how much of a possibility that is now :-?

flutterby wrote:
40cm bamboo terries are tiny, tell you what, wait, don't buy anything, PM me your address now, and if you go into labour early I will send you at least 5 40cm bamboo terries (I probably have more), they dry so quickly that you'd make do with just them and your muslins too

Thanks Hanna, that is really kind of you :hug: and has put my mind at ease! Will PM you now :hug:

Sarah xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:39 pm

happytails wrote:
tanya2007 wrote: If he is really early, he will end up in SCBU for a while anyway and a lot of SCBUs won't let you use cloth.

He will be nappyless then. Not having a sposie near his bottom :oops: :-? I dont see why they wouldnt let you use cloth, im not planning on telling the hospital if i do have him there. Obv im still hoping we hit term and i can have my homebirth but not sure how much of a possibility that is now :-?

They consider it a hygiene issue, They also have a tendency to weigh nappies as they come off to give an indication of how much fluid is going through a baby and get confused with cloth. At least that was what we were told when Bella was in SCBU.

And, much as I hate to say it, if he is early and ends up in SCBU for a while, you will have more on your mind than what is on his bum. Believe me, having a baby in Special Care is a traumatic experience and not one I would wish on anyone.

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

I just used prefolds on Alasdair, then put him in newborn Swaddlebees OCV and Kissaluvs.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

I used Motherease Onesize from birth on Charlotte and she was 7lbs 4oz. So I always think it is pointless going for reeeeeeaally small nappies.

With Ben, we did have some smalls just to try, he was a bit bigger at 7lbs 15oz and I had a bimble, diddy diaper, Swaddlebees newborn (so small it lasted a matter of weeks) and some small little lambs. Honestly though, if you got some of these small nappies, you could make them fit a much smaller baby - the only thing with the MEOS was that they were bulky (I didn't know any different at the time so it didn't bother me at all) and really, newborns only wear sleepsuits all day (well mine did anyway) so it wasn't an issue at all.

They grow so quickly, I personally wouldn't buy anything toooooo small. Make sure you have a few nippas and you can make anything work, even if it is a little bulky. I used small ME RIkki or LL wraps over the top and being applix were adjustable enough. With smaller babies, you might find you need to get a smaller wrap but I would wait to see if you need them.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:37 am

Annette wrote:Swaddlebees newborn (so small it lasted a matter of weeks)

These still fit Noah at 5 months, and he was 8lb14 born which is another big point, it depends so much on a baby shape, possibly more so than weight.

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:11 am

tanya2007 wrote:
happytails wrote:

They consider it a hygiene issue, They also have a tendency to weigh nappies as they come off to give an indication of how much fluid is going through a baby and get confused with cloth. At least that was what we were told when Bella was in SCBU.

And, much as I hate to say it, if he is early and ends up in SCBU for a while, you will have more on your mind than what is on his bum. Believe me, having a baby in Special Care is a traumatic experience and not one I would wish on anyone.

In our SCBU they use the Moltex Oko nappies - so not so bad... Maybe you could just pick up a pack of teeny Moltex nappies incase...? :hug:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:26 am

I was going to say exactly the same as Tanya. Should he come early (and I really hope he stays put until term!), he may well end up in SCBU and then you won't care what's on his bottom. I know our hospital's maternity ward was cloth-friendly and I had taken cloth with us when we ended up being transferred from home but, in the end, they stayed in the bag. I never asked if cloth was allowed in SCBU, as I was too distressed with what was happening to Iris to think about it. I know they did weigh her nappies though, so they may not have allowed cloth. Mind, it's hard enough to change a disposable on a baby in an incubater, so I'm not sure I could have managed a fitted and wrap! :giggle:

Has your obs specifically said you're now at risk of pre-term labour?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:27 am

when ds was in scbu e weren't using cloth, but they wouldn't even let us use our own disps - due to weighing them as tanya said - they know how much theirs weigh so don't have to do before weights.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 am

We were in the same boat when Ruairidh was admitted at 10months. No cloth as they had to weigh his nappies so you could only use theirs. Once they stopped weighing them they were happy for us to put him back into cloth.

I had xs sandies and they were teeny. I only just managed to fasten them on my 9lb6oz baby even when he dropped to 8lb10oz.

I also had size 0 bambeasy and bimbles and they were also teeny. Both of these he outgrew at 3-4weeks.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat