hf1

Smelly nappies

My avatar
stacey10782010
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Smelly nappies

Postby stacey10782010 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:01 pm

has anyone else had a problem with any of there nappies smelling fishy??? it only seems to be when there wet and only a select few nappies! :-?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Smelly nappies

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:05 pm

It sounds like they need stripping to me. Nappies can get detergent build-up which will cause them to start smelling. What are they made from? Generally nappies made from mf tend to start getting smelly first and also fleece lined ones as fleece can sometimes hold onto smells too. Go to the washing cloth nappies section and look at the info about stripping them.

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cumbrianlass » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Good way of checking to see if it is build up: put one of the offending nappies clean into a clean tub of water. Swish it around a bit and if you see bubbles / detergent traces in the water then you need to strip wash.

Otherwise if he is teething it might be teething pee and is only a couple of the nappies that have reacted to it / caught a concentrated piddle. Try pre-washing (or rinsing first) cold before you wash your nappies as normal while he is cutting his pegs. Cold rinse helps to stop the urine "setting" in the nappy which can happen with a hot wash.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:53 pm

cumbrianlass wrote:Good way of checking to see if it is build up: put one of the offending nappies clean into a clean tub of water. Swish it around a bit and if you see bubbles / detergent traces in the water then you need to strip wash.

Otherwise if he is teething it might be teething pee and is only a couple of the nappies that have reacted to it / caught a concentrated piddle. Try pre-washing (or rinsing first) cold before you wash your nappies as normal while he is cutting his pegs. Cold rinse helps to stop the urine "setting" in the nappy which can happen with a hot wash.

What the previous poster has said :D
This is definitely the case with Erin... the room that we keep the nappy bin in smells decidedly fishy (reminds me of "old people's home" smell :giggle: ) when she's teething, or not drinking as much as she usually would.
The cold rinse cycle before the main wash definitely helps with both the fishy & amonia smells - and is also a good way to detect detergent build up. The water will foam if there's detergent stuck in the nappies & can often be seen clearly during the spin part of the cycle.

Dooby x

My avatar
stacey10782010
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby stacey10782010 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

doobykat wrote:
cumbrianlass wrote:Good way of checking to see if it is build up: put one of the offending nappies clean into a clean tub of water. Swish it around a bit and if you see bubbles / detergent traces in the water then you need to strip wash.

What the previous poster has said :D
This is definitely the case with Erin... the room that we keep the nappy bin in smells decidedly fishy (reminds me of "old people's home" smell :giggle: ) when she's teething, or not drinking as much as she usually would.
The cold rinse cycle before the main wash definitely helps with both the fishy & amonia smells - and is also a good way to detect detergent build up. The water will foam if there's detergent stuck in the nappies & can often be seen clearly during the spin part of the cycle.

Dooby x

Thank u all for ur tips,im new to cloth nappies so wasnt quite sure what to do.i will try the strip wash :thumbsup:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat