Arrgh help, DD suddenly peeing through everything

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Arrgh help, DD suddenly peeing through everything

Postby rachymoo » Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 pm

Oh dear. I think we may have reached THAT point :(

I have always used a variety of nappies on DD, we've always got on pretty well with pockets, AIOs and fitteds. However in the last week or so we keep getting sopping wet clothes! She has recently started telling us when she has pooed etc so I'm wondering if she's also starting to get some bladder control, and so is holding in her wee and then flooding the nappy?

I don't think it's that they need stripping - I did that not so long ago. Earlier, I changed her and put on a WNSS, stuffed with a Ptits Dessous bamboo insert and a Little Lamb bamboo booster. Within 5 minutes of putting the nappy on she was soaked and I had to change her trousers.

I don't think it's a fit issue either, because it's happened with more than one type of nappy.

What can I do? What works best when they start doing this - fitteds and wool? Do I have to wave goodbye to all our lovely Weenotions pockets etc? I've never used wool on DD but we do use fleece.

Help!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Arrgh help, DD suddenly peeing through everything

Postby northernruth » Tue May 31, 2011 9:12 pm

rachymoo wrote:She has recently started telling us when she has pooed etc so I'm wondering if she's also starting to get some bladder control, and so is holding in her wee and then flooding the nappy?

^this. The reason we PTd MArtha was exactly this, she had started "leaking" from nappies that had previously been fine. Basically she was flooding them - so therefore had the necessary bladder control for PTing.

Our CM at the time used to say the best sign they were ready was dry nappies at change time (she used diposables on everyone else but obviously had a set routine of nappy changes).

She's of an age, are you ready to try?

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Tue May 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Ds does this now and he is 100% in fitteds and wool :( Ive noticed that if he pees 5 mins after i change him (he does that alot :roll: ) the nappy is absolutely saturated and then he can go a couple of hours without peeing. Hes been in sposies this week and i noticed hes been doing the same in them, i changed him today and left his trousers off and 5 mins later it was totally full again. On top of the power wees he has changed shape and nothing fits so its a bit of a cloth nightmare just now :cry:

Your LO is a little older so maybe PTing is an option? My ds is still a bit wee for that yet so im not sure what we are going to do.

:hug: :hug:

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue May 31, 2011 9:16 pm

It may be worth introducing toilet/potty. It doesnt have to be "training" just "there is the potty, you can wee on that if you like" type thing with nappy free time.
Other than that fitteds and wool do work better and so might adding some microfibre ontop of your bamboo in your pockets (fast absorbency can soak up the pee flood before it leaks)

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Yeah, we have been thinking about PTing for a while now. Only thing is, she's been a bit slow with speech etc so it's quite difficult for her to tell us, although in the past couple of weeks her speech has started coming on quite well and she can say 'wee' and 'poo' now so I guess that's a start!

I know I sound thick but how do I do it? I've tried her on the potty. It's there in the living room and she can sit on it/look at it whenever she likes, I also sit her on it at every nappy change, I say regularly 'potty is for you to do a wee wee or a poo poo' ( :giggle: ), but she just doesn't seem to want to sit on it? Also with the toilet - she likes to go upstairs, sit on it, wipe herself and flush the chain but she's never actually done anything on it. Is there anything else I should be doing?

And in the meantime, what should I be doing nappy-wise? Do I need to change to just fitteds and wool? Oh dear, that won't be cheap :shock: especially as she's (possibly) so near to PTing.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue May 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Try the microfibre ontop of your bamboo in the pockets first. If that fails then go with preloved wool and fitteds.

Introduce some sign for 'wee' or 'potty' so she can communicate clearly if she needs to go and doesnt fancy speaking.
There isnt really anything you 'do' with toilet training, they just manage it in their own time, if its readily there and you give her plenty of nappy free time and open opportunity she will figure it out!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 pm

:wave: she will tell you when she needs it without speech they usually give you clues with body language, some children go quiet , others wriggly just have a look and wait for the cues.

sounds like trying might be a good plan the best tip is too stay chilled about it :hug: if they have accidents kinda ignore it maybe just say next time on the toilet/potty and when they make progress do a HUGE fuss

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Can you stay at home/ in the garden this week and just go nappy free?
Coming out of nappies is a funny one, some kids just get it some kids half get it and some need a bit longer. Ours was a longish journey with dd1 getting the no nappy bit but as soon as we put clothes on her
She d wet then, she would always make it for a poo though!

Tbh I wouldn t buy new nappies, does she wee at certain regular times? Say if my daughter has a warm drink in the morning, two hours later she needs a wee. If she wee s just after you ve changed her could you take her nappy off and say "let's go for a wee wee on the potty now ..." You sit on toilet her on potty next to you type thing? Teddy can sit on potty , dolly sit on potty.

Depends on your daughters personality etc too. A great book I got was princess polly s potty just the sow the seed.

Good luck

P s the best thing I learned was not to keep asking if they need the potty but if you think they re doing the wee wee jig just say "let's go for a wee wee" "best we sit on the potty before we go outside" etc etc and if you know they can hold it for hours don t ask them every 5 mins , my DD used to get so annoyed - Tis only coz my bladder is so rubbish ibis judging her by my own standard lol!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat