hf1

Anyone tried Best Bottom or Sprout Change system?

My avatar
hedgiemum63
Clothie
Clothie

Anyone tried Best Bottom or Sprout Change system?

Postby hedgiemum63 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi there,

I was perusing the Funkymonkeypants website (the range there is huge) and came across two nappy systems which I'm attracted to, because they both offer a birth to potty 'shell' which grows with the baby (rather than having to buy loads of sized wraps) and inserts. The Best Bottom one is meant to be a hybrid of pocket nappies/prefolds etc, but the inserts snap into the shell. The other one is actually quite an unusual design in that it is adjusted by elastic within pockets at the side of the shell (which is also reversible, so two colours in one). With the Sprout Change, you can use any prefold or insert you like or you can use their inserts.

I was wondering if anyone has tried these and what you thought?

http://www.funkymonkeypants.com/bestbottomdiapers.html

http://www.funkymonkeypants.com/sproutchange.html

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Anyone tried Best Bottom or Sprout Change system?

Postby monsterm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:47 pm

I have not used either but I will tell you what I think based on the info on funkymonkeypants. Birth to potty systems rarely work for babies all the way from birth to potty.

First off they are normally too big for newborn babies up until about 6 weeks or so. That problem can be solved by using inexpensive terry/bamboo squares & newborn wraps/wool until they fit into the nappies.

Secondly, absorbancy can be a huge issue. Babies pee more as they get bigger & nappies that worked for you at 3 months might not work at 13 months.

Thirdly, fit can be a huge issue too. Nappies that fit perfectly today, can gap at the legs & leak in 3 weeks/months & then fit again later on but while they are leaking you need another brand to fall back on.

Out of the 2 nappy systems you linked, I think sproutchange looks the best but not with the PUL shell. The wool shell is by far the better option. Using the organic hemp inserts & the organic hemp fleece booster pack. That's a lot of hemp though & hemp while very very absorbant, is slow to absorb so you might need to stick a bamboo booster on top to absorb quicker.

HTH

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat