hf1

What's the deal with barrier creams?

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

What's the deal with barrier creams?

Postby Mungo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm a newbie and have just started using cloth nappies... are barrier creams a no no? I always used sudocrem on LO when he was in sposies but I've read that it's not great for real nappies... Are some better than others or is it best to use none at all?

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What's the deal with barrier creams?

Postby flossyfly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:20 pm

You only really need it if LO is sore. If I ever use a cream then I put a removable liner in so the cream doesn't get on the actualnappy fabric. If the cream gets on your nappies it can effect the absorbancy.
:wave:

My avatar
Cj2011
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Cj2011 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 pm

I use caldesene powder if I need to use something but thats very rarely. If you do need to use a barrier cream pop in a paper liner :thumbsup:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:37 pm

I agree only use it if needed not every nappy change. pop in a liner so that the cream doesn't come in to contact with the nappy x

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Kirstyh wrote:I agree only use it if needed not every nappy change. pop in a liner so that the cream doesn't come in to contact with the nappy x

We used fleece liners to "protect the nappy" when using creams.
This way we've managed to use all sorts - sudocrem/ bepanthan & metanium with no probs.

tbh - the best solution to a sore bottom is nappy free time - as much as you can.
Obviously you need nappies at night/ when out - but at home, we've just dealt the the puddles when DS had a sore bottom - much less discomfort for him & heals bottom quicker.

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks everyone... I have some fleece liners, would barrier cream clog those up too, is it better to use paper liners and then chuck them when I do need cream?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 pm

it did affect our fleece liners when I used cream for a short time and they made her bottom worse so I switched to minkee. You can use paper liners if you want

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 pm

I've found the paper ones move around too much and end up curled up doing nothing
The fleece ones stay put better for us
And I've never had any problems with them clogging up - I always rinse before a wash & don't go overboard on the cream

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:01 pm

We use Sudocrem every once in while, not much, we just use a tiny tiny amount and make sure it is rubbed in properly (so her skin looks normal, not white). Haven't had a problem with doing this. I think the problem is the cream on the fleece (we use pockets) so if DD is sore, I tend to put the Sudocrem on at night time when she is in a fitted night nappy, so if anything a tiny bit is just going to get on the booster. Don't know if this is the right thing to do, but it works for us, we never got on with paper or fleece liners TBH.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat