hf1

Going camping and wondering if will cope with cloth nappies?

My avatar
snorkmaiden
Clothie
Clothie

Going camping and wondering if will cope with cloth nappies?

Postby snorkmaiden » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Allright, so we're going camping in a week or so, hooray! for 3 whole days, with the wondrous baby (6 months). HOW are we going to manage cloth nappies? I mean, I could just bring about 50 along, but we have a very small car, and a lot of tent and baby stuff to bring! (though pram-free, phew).

I went up north overnight with him on the train at the weekend, and the bag was kind of twice the size on the way back with wee-swollen prefolds, which was interestingly challenging, as it was bulging at the seams with emergency babygrows anyway, so am a bit dubious about how we will manage for 3 entire nights. Considering cardinal sin of (biodegradable) disposables. AAgh.

Help!?

Steph

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Going camping and wondering if will cope with cloth nappies?

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:06 am

Hi Steph and welcome to the forum! :D :D

I guess it depends on a few factors - firstly are there any washing facilities where you are camping or is it fairly basic camping? How many are you likely to need in total while you are away?
I went glamping with Louis and what I did was take pockets (mainly fuzzis I seem to remember as they dry so quickly) and then extra inserts. If it was just a wee I just hand washed and hung insert and pocket straight out to dry in the sun. The insert was dry very quickly (ready for next change usually) and I made sure I took my thinest/quickest drying tri-fold inserts which were dry pretty quickly as well. I think I tok about 10 in total and that was more than enough. We were away for 3 nights / 4 days and all I ended up with for the trip home was the 3 night nappies and a couple of pooey (rinsed) pockets and inserts. This worked really well however it was the south of France so I'm not sure if this genius plan would work in the UK!

I've always been very relaxed about using dispos occasionally - I believe they do have their place and if taking them will help you to have 3 days that are more relaxing with less stress than worrying about if you have enough cloth / what if it rains etc.

Have fun whatever you decide to do :wine:

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:30 am

When we went camping recently I gave in and used biodegradable dispos because there were no washing facilities and we were gone a week. I didn't like the idea to begin with but in the end it did make my holiday more relaxing because I wasn't worried about washing and drying. And you can't rely on our weather here for drying either! :)

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:38 am

We're going camping for a couple of weeks at the end of August, we'll be taking our cloth but our site has washing facilities. The washers are huge usually so I just wash ever 3-4 days then hand rig up a washing line and hang them out. Of course if it rains for the entire 2 weeks we'll spend a fortune on the tumble driers!

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:48 am

we're going on Monday for 5 nights and I'm taking cloth! No washing facilities on site, but plan to do what Tory said and handwash wet ones and hang to dry. Poo nappies will be rinsed and put in a separate bag to bring home. I don't think I'll have enough wipes so will have to handwash those as well. We have plenty of shops around if this isn't working and I have to resort to disposables, but I want to at least give it a go.

Saying that, I have 2 in cloth so double the nappies to take... if we're short on space then some might have to stay here!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:50 am

We take sposies if we're camping for more than a night; we don't have space in the car for cloth and the wetbags can be a bit smelly on the way home! Cloth for nights is a good compromise.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 am

When space is an issue we take disps too now... I'd love to do cloth while camping but practicality tends to win...

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 am

We used cloth when we went camping last year when DS was 18 months old.
Took our flips & pockets & ittis.
Did 2 washes (was there 5 days) and hung out to dry on the guide ropes
(but did end up drying them in the car when it rained - smell car coz of the damp nappies!!)
We managed but only because we had washing facilities.

Going camping in september hopefully - hope to cloth it again, DS is PT'd now, so it'll just be DD in cloth all day, with DS's night nappies!

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 am

Im taking cloth when we go away to tunisia. Planning on taking about 15 prefolds that I can wash and dry. Will prob be washing every night but I would rather that than sposies.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat