Milton

My avatar
zacampbell
Clothie
Clothie

Milton

Postby zacampbell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:35 am

Hello!

I'm looking for your words of wisdom ladies....

I've struggled with my (now 11month old) daughters rashes since she started to teeth at around 6m. Her first rash was really very nasty, and despite going to the doctors and getting various creams the only thing in the end that cleared it up was lashings and lashings of neils yard barrier cream.

It's never really healed up fully although I suspect some of it is scaring :cry: she's gets it back now and again and sometimes it's easier to ward away with others.

I've always washed my nappies at 40deg usually with either rockin green detergent, or non bio & sanitiser (when at my mums). I get on quite well with the rockin green as I know some people don't rate it but its worked well for me.

ANYWAY! I was worried that maybe there is some sort of fungus or something in her nappies, causing her nasty rash. When it starts it looks kinda white & furry, then goes into spots/sores and they then usually break and bleed :cry:

My mum has been washing the nappies at 60deg this week to try and kill off anything that may have been lurking and they are super clean, her rash seems to be getting better but hard to tell if it's because we've been washing at 60.

So now to the point of this rambling tale... I read recently that the only way to kill thrush is to steralise everything, this got me to thinking can you steralise your nappies? Soo my question is...

Can you use milton on your nappies without damaging them?

Thanks ladies :)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Milton

Postby ladybird » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:40 am

60c wash should be enough tbh. Hospitals use that temp. I believe. I wouldn't use sterilising solutions or sanitisers personally, I've no idea if Milton would damage the nappies, but some sanitisers can. I also found that 40c wasn't enough for our nappies.

With teething rashes, we found that the best thing was to use Ashtons and Parsons powders. They seem to work better on the side effects of teething for us, far better than chamomilla teething powders/granules. We did have to use them regularly, a few times a day and keep using them for a few days after we thought the teething was over.

My avatar
zacampbell
Clothie
Clothie

Postby zacampbell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 am

Thank you, good to know what everyone else does. Do you just do a maintenance 60 wash?

will check out teething gels...thanks :)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:53 am

I don't use nappies any more, but always used to wash them at 60c with non-bio (I used Simply).

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:59 am

We get rashes if we don't wash at 60 ;)

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:02 am

we too get rashes if we wash at anything les than 60...also we find that we need to do extra rinses as sometimes the fibres clog and hold onto the tsp of washing poweder as build-up :evil:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:06 am

zacampbell wrote:Thank you, good to know what everyone else does. Do you just do a maintenance 60 wash?

will check out teething gels...thanks :)

oh and maintenance washes are at 90c with bio powder or a drop of bleach (with nothing in the machine).

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:11 am

I wash nappies on 60 degrees every time.

My avatar
zacampbell
Clothie
Clothie

Postby zacampbell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:15 am

thats really good to know, thanks! I've only really ever come across people that wash at 30/40 deg, interesting!

90deg! sounds a bit hot for nappies? but obviously works if you've done it :) I do one now and again just to clean out the machine.

x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat