hf1

Should I buy size one nappies.

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Should I buy size one nappies.

Postby ALL5 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:31 pm

I am trying to work out if I shoudl buy seperate size one nappies, or just go for the one size nappies.

I will be having a c-section so i won't start using cloth nappies till after the first month or so, would I get full use out of size one nappies or should I move to one size or size two.

Any help would be very appreciated on this one.

Thanks.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Should I buy size one nappies.

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:43 pm

Thats a really difficult question to answer.

Some people prefer to use disposibles for a few weeks - then switch to a one size nappy
Others prefer sized nappies.

Personally - I mainly opt for sized nappies, with just a few one-size ones in my stash!
but I have skinny teeny babies - so mosst birth to potty nappies just dont give us a good fit.

I would advise that get a few of each to get you started when the baby is born - but then add the bulk of your stash when baby arrives and you know what size/ shape they are - and what nappies suit you all best.

Sorry for the 'on the fence' answer - but not sure you can give a answer each way until baby is born.

One-size nappies do tend to be bulkier & don't fit tiny/newborn babies immediately - but they are cost effective long term and really helpful if you intend on having another baby and will have 2 children in nappies at once!

Sized nappies tend to give a better fit on the smaller babies - but cost you more as you have to buy each size! But you can store them away for baby number 2 or 3. The sized nappies I bought for DS1 are currently being used with DD2!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:47 pm

My DD never ever fitted one size nappies and we didnt try cloth until she was 6 months. I would hire a trial kit if I was you so you can see what works before you hand over your pennies.

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

well in my opinion onesize nappies hardly ever fit properly on a newborn, so sized nappies are best.
saying that...i love the fuzzi bunz ones size, they actually really fit small babies, my sister used them with her 5week old, and i will be getting a few onesized fuzzi's for this baby.
but again it depends on what onesize nappy your going to go for?
cleangreennappy.co.uk have fuzzibunz onesize and perfect size on sale ;0)

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:05 pm

with DD, one sized nappies fitted from about 5 months onwards. when she was about 8 weeks old (which is when i started trying reusables) the best nappies for us were bamboo little lambs (or cheaper lollipop) with a PUL wrap or wool or fleece. good luck! x

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:24 pm

One size nappies fit my newborn at 2 weeks--but he was over 8lbs. I am using sized nappies though as I dont like the bulk on him of folded down one size--except at night. Plus he goes through loads and cant fit that many one size in the washing machine! I plan to use my one size stash when he's about 6 months. Until then i've got small fuzzi bunz which are perfect on him, and i got them cheap on the classifieds. :wave:

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi hun!

I'm quite new to cloth and before you jump in the whole thing can seem really daunting (as there is so little info in the "real world") but once you've thrown yourself in, and that is the best way to do it just dive in else you'll be finding excuses not to forever, you'll wonder what the worry was about!!

I have pretty much all one size pockets and find them super simple and they work equally well for me on my 21 month old and 17 week twins, I do have a couple of custom made sized but these can, IMHO, work out quite expensive!

HTH

xxxx

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:48 pm

Personally I'd buy some size 1's even if its a handful of preloved cheap basic ones, just becuase the fit is so much nicer and poo containment so much better especially if you intend bf :hug:
I have mostly sized nappies and about 10 btp as backups, but my btp only really started fitting ds2 from 12 weeks this time round. Plus btp nappies get hammered and size 1's are often in very goo condition preloved.

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ALL5 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:54 pm

thanks for taht ladies, think I will get some size ones and some one size and take it from there. i will have a look at those sites you gave me.

I have yet to decided on the pockets or the prefolds plus wraps. Are there any threads that give pro's and cons of each. I found the thread on cotton v bamboo v micro fibre, excellent. But i'm learning, a couple of days ago I didn't even know what a 'modern' reusable cloth nappy looked like :)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat