hf1

is it me or is choice overwhelming?? - need help!

My avatar
Koozerthedoozer
Clothie
Clothie

is it me or is choice overwhelming?? - need help!

Postby Koozerthedoozer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:18 am

Hello everyone,
My name is Kirsty and i am new here!. I know i should really do the introduction bit on the other topic but i do actually want some suggestions.
I have two children, my little boy, who is now 3 and thankfully potty trained used terry nappies throughout and I am now the proud owner of a new little person who is 8 weeks old (went for a girl model second time!).
I am unsure about what to use, I still have all the terry nappies but most were second hand last time and are somewhat crispy and unfluffy now. I am quite happy to carry on using them but feeling the need to go for some shaped nappies too, after all that extra effort last time.
I have been reading the info that you are all writing and i have to say I am still confused. There are just so many, and it has changed since i was looking 3 years ago, with new materials and such like.
If i tell you what i like maybe you can help me to hone in on a couple if you don't mind -

* not keen on aplix - poppers ok but i worry about melting if i resort to tumble drier (does this happen??). I have lots of nippa's and am fine with them.
* i am looking for shaped that isn't too bulky.
* Get very confused about pocket nappies so would probably rather avoid it.
*i already have wraps but i think they are thought to be pretty rubbish - mostly Bumpy day wraps.Not wealthy enough to change that but could probably afford a couple.
* I have to be honest and say I am still petrified of using real nappies at night, I know, i am pathetic!.
* would love to have pretty nappies but its not a major issue. I was shocked to discover just how much people are charging now for some nappies!!
I think that covers most things.
I'm sure you all groan when someone asks this question as it must come up repeatedly.
If all else fails i'll carry on covering my little one in cripsy terry!!.
Thanks for reading,
Kirsty x

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: is it me or is choice overwhelming?? - need help!

Postby Rae » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:35 am

Hello and welcome.
To get to your questions - I have poppers on a bamboozle, and it was always tumble dried with never a problem.
Shaped but not bulky - then bamboo nappies - bamboozles, little lambs, bambineo (now called bambinex) are options. There are some specials going round the nappy websites for the old stock bambineos. Little lambs are the thickest of these (so better for heavy wetters, and thus take the longest to dry), and the bambineos are cut higher in the rise than the bamboozles, so if you have a long thin one, then the bambineo will work better.
Wraps - motherease wraps work well, and there are a lot going second hand. I also like nature babies wraps which can also be picked up second hand if your watching the pennies.
I was worried about pockets at first then thied the bumgenius - this is our slimest nappy and our most reliable. Very easy to put the inserts into, and great as a birth to potty nappy.
Real nappies at night is no problem, we actually get leaks in disposables at night. Yes the real ones at night are thick and bulky, but it is so cute looking at a huge bum.
There is no problems using terry, whatever works for you.

Hope that helps a bit.

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:48 am

I wouls say that if your after pretty poopered nappies then take a look at weenotions, the northern lights are good day time nappies made from bamboo, and you can choose the pretty outer fabric of the nappy to suit your taste, i think they are well worth the money as they are made by a work at home mummy :D

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:03 pm

I have mainly poppered nappies and have no problem tumble drying!
Bambeasy, bamboo baby beehinds and swaddlebee OVs are really slim and both really absorbent! And all come in BTP so an econmic option, WN do lovely cumstomisable wraps, and like rae said ME airflow, but them popolini do a nearly identical wrap called the vento and it's cheaper, these are both fab reliable wraps as are nature babies, Ive found all of these really quite cheap on this site, and the customer service is without a doubt one of the best I've dealt with, http://www.boocoo.co.uk/category_wraps.asp
As for pockets I really think you can't go wrong with them, I love bum genius, and blueberry minky pocket, they are rather pricey but the are also BTP so that works out a bit better, and blueberry have some lovely patterns and fabrics! And you can always add more absorbency if she starts to out wee the inserts that come with, and I'm sure there would be plenty of people here willing to help with stuffing advice!
Night nappies, well I have to say I was also terrified of cloth night nappying but I decided to give it a go, we use night notions from wee notions and huggles (and I have a quickflip as an emergency night nappy) for my nearly 2 year old, and my 5 week old uses bumgenius or blueberry OS for nights! I have to say I have yet to have a leak from a night nappy on Jak and he out wees most of his day nappies if left on for longer than 3 hrs despite huge amounts of boosting, and disposables always leak on him so that wouldnt be an option any way!
As for wanting pretty nappies as your worried about the cost maybe get one or 2 pretty wraps that way you can use them more than a pretty nappy, I love the nature babies orange flowers, or a WN wrap, expensive I guess but you'll get plenty of use out of a wrap! I'm really the wrong person to ask about saving pennies as I have no self control and love the embroideries and pretty minky fabrics, heres a couple of pics of my little girl in her WN wrap and nature babies wrap!

Image Image

Sorry I just love showing her off, I hope all I've said has helped a little rather than confusing you more!

My avatar
samandabismum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby samandabismum » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Oh yes there is so much more choice than when I started out 4 years ago.
If you are used to terries then any shaped 2 parter is going to seem familiar. Bamboo nappies are nice and slim but do take a bit longer to dry than terry> I think Little Kiwi Quick Flips are great as the drying time is reduced as the nappy folds out.
I also think motherease wraps are brill and the bonus is that the airflow wraps will fit over whatever you choose to put in them. They have been our main wrap in the last 4 years and have been pretty bomb proof.
Nighttimes have been fine for us up until close to potty training when there can be some power wees. In fact I just used our motherease one size for most tightimes with my 2 oldest.
Have to say I have tried pockets this time and am loving the ease of them - so much like a disposable - but I think you would probably spend more money this way.

My avatar
Koozerthedoozer
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Koozerthedoozer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Thank you so much, I thought you'd all go 'oh would you shut up with that question!'.
Maybe i was a little hasty with the old pocket remark - what the hell do you stuff them with though??.
Has any university started a degree in real nappy knowledge yet, because they would probably have a full class!
I probably need to trial a few of these recommendations don't I. I have to say I spent ages last night looking on the internet ( how many nappy websites are there now!!!!) at lovely nappies and it was really enjoyable. Just wish I could afford a huge selection!. Rae is right - there really is something lovely about a huge baby bum!.
Thanks again to you all, keep up the good advice,
Kirsty

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:02 pm

A lot of pockets are sold with their own inserts. You may find however that you need to boost with a further insert as your LO gets older and starts wetting more.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:46 am

Maybe for just trialling nappies you'd be best to get them preloved, that way they're already up to full absorbency and they're cheap, and it should give you a good idea what you like!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat