hf1

Thinking of giving up: rashes and vanity are the reasons!

My avatar
mama2boyz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Thinking of giving up: rashes and vanity are the reasons!

Postby mama2boyz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 pm

So. our tumble drier died 2 weeks ago and that coupled with a lot of stress led me to use disposables.
Lo and behold Lizzy's 'perpetual' nappy rash disappeared in the space of a few hours. I've tried tea tree oil in the wash and washing at 90 but as soon as she's back in cloth (I tried yesterday) the rash comes back immediately.

She's 16mo and my 3rd child in cloth but I am tempted to pack it in :(

I know it sounds vain and silly but she's my first and very likely will be my only girl and I'm really enjoying putting cute little outfits on her but coming into the cold months I feel she needs to wear tights and tights+wool wraps don't mix well. I can't stand PUL as it stinks to high heaven quickly, fleece no good either.

Then there's the issue of her looking massive in cloth...Lizzy is very small and wears 9-12mo clothes :shock:

I know I could put her in wool longies but I did that with my boys and I'm so enjoying little dresses and skirts after all those trousers - I know the longies could go under dresses but they often kill the look. She has knitted pantaloons which can look very cute - maybe that's my answer...?

Skirties + legwarmers aren't a look I like and I don't feel her legs would be warm enough as there would be a gap anyway. I love skirties in summer but I'm in North Wales so summer is very short!!

Currently I use Sandys or swaddlebees + wool interlock or wool knitted/crocheted soakers. I tried Ittis but they just leaked.

Any thoughts? Pls don't flame me!!

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Thinking of giving up: rashes and vanity are the reasons!

Postby Bugglyboo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Could you use a mixture of skirties with longies atttched or something like that? I don't know if they are available as I've only got a boy but I think they'd look really cute.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:24 pm

I mainly used AIO and found then fine with tights, My dd was/is still very slim too. But I wasn't bothered about her having a large bum.
I think a bit of junk in the trunk looks cute! :giggle:

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 pm

I have two little girls in cloth and use pocket's I don't think there is anything cuter than a ruffle bum and baby legs sticking out the bottom of a pretty dress or skirt and I'm with Scarlet I love that fat cloth bum look on all three of mine under anything :giggle:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:46 pm

I totally love the fat but look but I don't mind PUL so tights are no issue. I'm also a big fan of pockets but if she leaked out of itti's then pocket's might no be your answer either.
However and I hope I don't get stoned for saying this. :hiding:
I use cloth because I love it and it works for me ATM if that ever changed I would probably cry but I would move on to sposies. I say follow your gut so what you think is best ans if in 2 months you want to go back great if not all's fine.
I hope it works out well for you one way or another. :hug:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:55 pm

When it comes to anything with children, it's got to work for you & them right now. No need to get worried or stressed. I may get shot down for suggesting this, but take a break, give sometime & then see how you feel.
Protect your sanity first! I'm a fan of 'self preservation'

My LO's are skinny, so the big bum helps keep trousers up!
If itti's don't work (and they seem to be a love/hate fit on some children) - then BBOS/ BG/ WNOS are good solid pockets to try under tights.
I use fitteds & wool, but also itti's & BBOS as I love tights on my baby girl too with her cute dresses. That way I get the best all round, cute nappies but different ones for her cute outfits!

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:37 pm

I loved my cloth and wool, but we tried absolutely everything and DD still had a rash which went when she was in sposies.

I cloth nappied DS in prefolds till he trained and had no problems, so I knew it wasn't me just being a bit rubbish.

So now she's in sposies and I hate it when I have to take them out to the rubbish :puke: I much prefered my lovely line of clean, drying, soft nappies, but ateotd, my daughter doesn't have a nasty sore rash on her bum, and that's what really matters.

And when we switched, I had lots of fun buying clothes for her that wouldn't have worked with cloth (and switched my wool addiction for a sling addiction :oops: ).

IMO that's what sposies are there for - for the few children who cloth won't work for. And I really did try everything - different liners, different types of nappies, ended up in terries with wool so there were no edges to rub her and she still had a persistant rash - I knew more about different types of nappies and combinations than any one person ever should :hohoho:

So if it's not working - then don't beat yourself up - your LO and her health and comfort is the most important thing - and if you get to play with pretty tights and dresses as a side effect, just accept it as the silver lining!

My avatar
moominmamma
Clothie
Clothie

Postby moominmamma » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:42 pm

I was just reading this thread wondering about your rash problem, when I saw this
just accept it as the silver lining!
it made me think- have you tried liners with silver in? I hear good things. (I'm assuming you've tried all the usual stuff like changing detergent)

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat