hf1

Stinky nappies even after stripping?

My avatar
macmomo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Stinky nappies even after stripping?

Postby macmomo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am

Any suggestions? I've stripped them. Unfortunately, they arrived stinky from seller (who I have just seen recently posted about her stinky nappies :x ). DH is threatening to bin the lot as it really is rather bad. They are PUL and minky (ie not fitteds) - is there any special tip for these types?

ETA: are 'soda crystals' the same as bicarb of soda?

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Stinky nappies even after stripping?

Postby emsy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:16 pm

this happened to me a while back i bought some nappies and they stank awfull :(
it took 3 or so strip washes and a few good washes with mio fresh Nappy sanitiser to get rid of the smell !!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:27 pm

No soda crystals and bicard are different things, soda crystals you get in the laundry isle and bicarb in the baking isle.
I think some one mentioned recently that the dishwasher tablet method is best on pul x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:35 pm

Soda crystals can also be called washing soda.

I would strip them again. Make sure you rinse several times too.

My avatar
macmomo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby macmomo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:35 pm

thanks, will try again.

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:45 pm

fuzzi bunz reccomends using a scoop of oxy clean (or similar) when stripping...I did it on my non-cotton nappies and it worked wonders, and didn't harm the pul.

My avatar
macmomo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby macmomo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks, think I'll try the oxyclean. They're a bit better after another stripping but I don't think dh will ever let me buy another second hand nappy! :shock:

My avatar
littlecomfort
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby littlecomfort » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi,
I thought I'd give my 2 cents here with regards to smelly nappies. I had a customer that after bringing them out of storage and wanting to use them on a second baby they started getting that awful smell from build up. They tried everything and I was in contact with them on several occasions until they got this tip and they are delighted now that they are using them with no smells whatsoever on their second baby. So I know this works and it was a severe case of smelly nappies to the point that they said it stang their eyes when they changed the nappies; so it was an unbearable case really:

Method:
1. Soak 12-15 nappies in hot water between 50-60 degrees Celsius or 130-150 degrees Fahrenheit, for several hours, with no detergent or anything added. Every hour or so, you can manually agitate the nappies somewhat to facilitate the process.
2. After soaking for several hours, do several hot wash/cold rinse routines in your washing machine, with no detergent added. This will ensure all the build up is removed. You should do at least 2-4 of these cycles, if you think you need more, go for it, rinsing never hurts!
3. Do a regular wash routine: initial cold wash, hot wash in water between 50-60 degrees Celsius or 130-150 degrees Fahrenheit with 1 Tbsp of detergent, and 1-2 final cold rinses.
4. Dry like normal.

This will get your nappies back to baseline and should get your stink under control. You normally will only need to do the regular wash routine as written out in step 3 to keep them maintained. Make sure you are only washing between 12-15 nappies and your hot water is between 50-60 degrees Celsius or 130-150 degrees Fahrenheit, both of those factors will make a huge difference, along with only using 1 Tbsp of soap.

I hope this helps anyone out there with smelly nappies!

Regards,
Monica.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat