hf1

Do longies itch?

My avatar
Sherpa
Clothie
Clothie

Do longies itch?

Postby Sherpa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 pm

My daughter won't wear her wolly hat cause it's 'scratchy', so I have bought my first pair of longies for my sin....will they itch like wool does sometimes? I find wool itchy and now it looks so does my daughter...is it different for longies? I would love to get into wool and I am interested in teaching myself to knit :)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Do longies itch?

Postby ladybird » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:30 pm

I think it depends on the person and also what wool is being used. A soft, squishy wool like merino or bfl is usually lovely to wear, however my eldest won't entertain it as he finds it itchy. My other two boys love their wool though and would happily wear longies at 8 and 6yrs if I would knit for them.

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:37 pm

ladybird wrote:I think it depends on the person and also what wool is being used. A soft, squishy wool like merino or bfl is usually lovely to wear, however my eldest won't entertain it as he finds it itchy. My other two boys love their wool though and would happily wear longies at 8 and 6yrs if I would knit for them.

My 5 and 7yo both love the shorties I made them and wear them for bed with nothing underneath :giggle: so I'm pretty sure they're not too itchy! They're pretty fussy about their clothes and won't wear anything that doesn't feel "right" lol.

My avatar
Sherpa
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sherpa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:42 pm

That's good to know... Start them young so.... Very excited bout this new wool venture ... I did one night with my daughter and gave up but now with my son I'm going to really gO for it ;)

My avatar
Sherpa
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sherpa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Oh and what's bfl?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Blue faced Leicester. It's a type of sheep/wool. Very soft from all the research I have done today. Oooh my mind is boggling.

My avatar
Sherpa
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sherpa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:53 pm

Thank you.... That's very good to know when I an buying , can I ask about shorties are they just for the summer or can you wear pj bottoms over them? And with longies what do you wear on top? I am used to the whole vest and babygrow set up :0

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 pm

Shorties are just shorts from wool. My lot wore longies in the winter instead of trousers, all day and night and then shorties in the summer. I wouldn't put pj trousers over shorties, if you want to put something over then you need a soaker - like a pair of wool pants that go over the nappy.
As for on top - any top you like! T-shirts, etc. I wouldn't use vests that popper, just normal vests that stop around the waist.

The only reason mine don't wear longies in the day now is because I got so sick of knitting huge long inseams for them to go through the knees in them in no time.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat