hf1

Would you start buying newborn nappies before getting a BFP?

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Would you start buying newborn nappies before getting a BFP?

Postby simlou » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Personally no but then I think thats more down to my own issues than anything else. I can definitely see your point about keeping stuff from the first bubba - I've kept everything but know I can always donate to friends etc if another bubba never came along but don't think I could justify to myself spending extra money and getting new stuff unless I knew it was actually going to happen.

Its a personal thing and if you want to then you should go right ahead and get shopping :D

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:17 pm

I did, initially I was browsing to see what was around, what prices were like etc & learning about which were good, hard to get or whatever. But of course when you browse like that you occasionally see bargains that are too good to miss or rare/ooak that you have to snap up there & then. I did some buying for fluff & other baby bits but only to a small extent as I like to have gender specific stuff in the main so the bulk of buying was done after my gender scan.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm

I was tempted but didn't. It took me just short of a year to conceive. If id had baby bargains hanging around, the monthly disappointment would've been even worse. And I'm too scared to buy anything until at least the 20 week scan.

I'd love to buy some fluff and other bits, but there's time enough for that later. There are too many things that could go wrong, and stuff bought in joyful anticipation would be too painful to have around in that case.

Hopefully all will be well, and I'll buy things up in the last few weeks or afterwards. If I don't get what I want, or have to spend a few extra quid it's no biggie.

I bought a lot of our stash with multiple kids in mind, and the nb stuff is definitely gn as we were team yellow, so it'll be functional if nothing else! We won't need to buy much baby stuff this time, so am hoping to indulge in some lovely fluff once it's arrived and we know the flavour!

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Hannah,

I still don't have the courage to buy anything and sold all my newborn nappies whilst Emily was 6 months old, so touch wood, fingers crossed, will need a whole new newborn stash. I can't bring myself to buy anything until I get to 12 weeks, so 6 more weeks to go. With Christopher I didn't buy nappies until I was 25 weeks, with Emily I bought newborn stuff pre-loved from 13 weeks and had a full stash by 14 weeks! and this time around i'll probably start buying after my 12 week scan. Although I am contemplating having a private scan in 2 weeks time when I will be 8 weeks to stop myself worrying about another missed miscarriage, so everything is OK then I may start buying after that! I have a friend due in May who sold all her newborn/small nappies that she used on her twins so at the moment I am being her personal nappy shopper!

Yvette x

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:15 pm

I've bought nappies for our 3rd - just little lambs when they were on offer. They'll be kept waiting until we have another baby or sold if we get to a point where ttc is too stressful. It's a personal choice.

Yvette75 wrote:Hannah,

I still don't have the courage to buy anything and sold all my newborn nappies whilst Emily was 6 months old, so touch wood, fingers crossed, will need a whole new newborn stash. I can't bring myself to buy anything until I get to 12 weeks, so 6 more weeks to go. With Christopher I didn't buy nappies until I was 25 weeks, with Emily I bought newborn stuff pre-loved from 13 weeks and had a full stash by 14 weeks! and this time around i'll probably start buying after my 12 week scan. Although I am contemplating having a private scan in 2 weeks time when I will be 8 weeks to stop myself worrying about another missed miscarriage, so everything is OK then I may start buying after that! I have a friend due in May who sold all her newborn/small nappies that she used on her twins so at the moment I am being her personal nappy shopper!

Yvette x

Congratulations Yvette.... hoping you have a H&H 9 mths x

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Yvette, i had no idea you were even trying again nevermind pregnant!!

Congratulations!

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:50 pm

When we were ttc 1st time round, I couldnt bring myself to buy anything at all. With having fertility problems myself, and my mum having a history of many recurrent miscarriages - I just dare not buy anything.
DH bought 'The Baby' two bunny rabbits when I was about 8 weeks and I was so upset, incase it tempted fate :(
I think I was around 25+ weeks before we bought anything else.

We werent ttc 2nd time round (but also not doing anything active to not either ifkwim!) so didn't have the chance to think about buying anything before hand.
Although about 6 months before I found out I was expecting Eleanor, tots bots did have an amazing offer on their white cotton nippa nappies - which made them about £2 each, so bought a white bundle 'incase'

So I guess what Im saying is... Im on the fence & it really depends whether its baby #1 or #2/3+ or any history of problems.

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks for the congrats Rox and Chelle. I am still a bit in shock as it was first cycle BFP! After 4 years of trying for Christopher I didn't think it would be that easy.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Yes I would and yes I have/am... I fell pregnant within 2 months of coming off the pill with Faye so I don't forsee any difficulties this time. I have kept all Fayes nb/small fluff, added bits to it, brought PP csp and I'm glad I have cause with us now moving, I know that if I'm pregnant within the next 6 mnths I'm not gonna have Dh shouting at me for spending when our finances are required elsewhere (we have everything else) if that makes any sense :-?

It must be hard if there has been a previous loss after 12 weeks, but what if I got to 36weeks and something awful happened? I guess I'm just not supstitious because I don't not buy incase I mc or we have problems ttc.

Eta I am only lurking classifieds, finding it harder to stay away from new and custom slots though... My latest thing is GN wool :oops: But I haven't gone there :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat