hf1

Cloth nappies in Gambia

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Cloth nappies in Gambia

Postby flossyfly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 pm

One of my colleagues went to the Gambia a couple of weeks ago to help out with a Charity she supports. I gave her loads of baby stuff including some cloth nappies and accessories.
She send me a message on facebook saying that they were really pleased with them... :yahoo:

I am so happy they liked them and it got me thinking. I bet there are loads of unwanted old cloth nappies that could be used by others. I might ask her if it would be possible to send more over!

Anyway, just thought I would share with you :thumbsup:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Cloth nappies in Gambia

Postby ems101 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Excellent idea! If they want them and they are good quality, why not!

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Let me know if it is a possibility :thumbsup: would like to donate some!

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:11 pm

We've always thought this is a great idea. There's definitely a need for preloved in Africa and those that are sent are very useful.

We'd love to organise a bulk collection and shipment scheme, as it's the best, most cost effective way to get them over there.

Most of the current schemes we've seen are based in Africa and ask each individual donor to send their nappies directly to them. The problem being that each individual postage fee could feed a family for a week in some areas and might arguably be better spent being put into local economies by paying locals to make the nappies. That's where well organised bulk shipment can make a huge difference because the sending cost for each nappy is significantly reduced.

The problem we've always had is that whilst we have the desire, we are unfortunately not ideally situated in Australia to receive nappy donations from the UK. We would however love to work with someone in the UK with the commitment to receive and dispatch bulk lots of nappies on a regular basis. We would ideally fund shipping costs through donations as part of the charitable activities of the site. If anyone is interested please feel free to contact me.

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Mr Clothmama wrote:We've always thought this is a great idea. There's definitely a need for preloved in Africa and those that are sent are very useful.

We'd love to organise a bulk collection and shipment scheme, as it's the best, most cost effective way to get them over there.

Most of the current schemes we've seen are based in Africa and ask each individual donor to send their nappies directly to them. The problem being that each individual postage fee could feed a family for a week in some areas and might arguably be better spent being put into local economies by paying locals to make the nappies. That's where well organised bulk shipment can make a huge difference because the sending cost for each nappy is reduced significantly.

The problem we've always had is that whilst we have the desire, we are unfortunately not ideally situated in Australia to receive nappy donations from the UK. We would however love to work with someone in the UK with the commitment to receive and dispatch bulk lots of nappies on a regular basis. We would ideally fund shipping costs through donations as part of the charitable activities of the site. If anyone is interested please feel free to contact me.

I will have a chat with her when she comes into work. I think she has a lot to do with this particular charity and they often send crates over there. Watch this space :thumbsup:

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm

I have a few I would be happy to donate, I think this is a great idea. I travelled a fair bit in Ghana when I left University so this is a charity close to my heart x

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:27 pm

:yahoo: How exciting!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Fab idea :D

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:06 am

That sounds great. When I was in Indonesia I was disturbed to see that a lot (possibly most) of people used disposables and they disposed of them (and all of their other household rubbish) by throwing carrier bags of them into the river. The river was congested with disposable nappies and plastic bottles... Cloth sounds much better!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat