hf1

Tykie Diapers OBV and OBV / hemp fitted review

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Tykie Diapers OBV and OBV / hemp fitted review

Postby rhead » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Manufacturer - Tykie Diapers (http://www.tykiediapers.com/)
Nappy Name - custom hemp/bamboo velour fitted, top-of-the-line (all OBV, with embroidery) fitted
Type of Nappy - daytime fitteds
Fastener - side snap (poppers)
Material - hemp french terry and OBV
Size - sized

Reliability: 9/10
Absorbancy: 8/10
Cuteness: 10/10
Drying Speed: 9/10
Slimness: 8/10
Value for money: 10/10

Overall Comment:
Highly recommended!

Detailed Comments:
These nappies are hand-made by an American grandma; quality and consistency are superb and she has an amazing range of fabrics available (including a large number of trendy new prints; if you don't see it in her gallery, ask!). She offers three kinds of fitteds, two of which I've tried (hemp/OBV and top-of-the-line). Rather than do separate reviews, I'll comment on both here. (The third type of nappy is the hemp fitted, which comes either with the fleecy side of the hemp as the inner or with a microfleece lining.)

First up are the OBV/hemp fitteds. These come with a cotton print outer of your choice, an internal layer of hemp french terry, and an OBV inner, and a two-petal snap-in soaker made up of several layers of hemp topped with OBV. They're one of my fastest drying OBV fitteds, with good absorbency and a lovely trim fit. On my medium wetter, I expect them to last 3 hours, maybe more. An important note: the fit of the woven vs. knit prints is vastly different. With a woven outer (listed as "cotton" in the fabric gallery), the medium is a true medium - I'd agree with the sizing info on the site. With a knit outer (listed as "knit"), you'll get much more wear out of a medium - my slim DD still fits comfortably in hers (3rd tightest snaps on the waist and 2nd on the thighs) at 27 months and around 25 lbs, but she outgrew her woven outer nappy a few months ago. The rise is also a bit higher (17" instead of 16") because of the extra stretch in the fabric.

For a heavy wetter, I'd probably recommend the top-of-the-line fitted. This is basically the same nappy, but comes with an OBV outer for extra absorbency (and extra squishiness :mrgreen:), and your choice of embroidery at no extra charge :shock:. This is still a trim-fitting and reasonably quick-drying nappy, but slightly less so than the cotton outer version. We can easily get 4 or more hours out of these, but I can't comment on how they'd perform for an ultra heavy-wetter. Being all bamboo velour, these are the stretchiest of the lot - the rise is 18" and DD wears them one popper tighter than her cotton-outer mediums. Unless you prefer a higher rise or your LO has particularly chubby thighs, I'd recommend sizing down rather than up if you're not sure which size to go for; the large really is *large*!

Ann's CS is great, she's very happy to work with her customers to make sure they get exactly what they want and offers lots of nice touches, like allowing you to choose whether you want the soaker to snap in the back or front of the nappy and what colours you'd like for the snaps and serging thread (or you can safely leave this up to her :wink:). Another nice touch is that all the snaps are hidden (no red marks).

Overall, I love these nappies; they're adorable, very comfortable-looking, and great value. The hemp fitteds sell for $12.50, the hemp/OBV fitteds for $14.50, and the top-of-the-line fitteds currently for $19.50. Shipping is charged at actual cost; email for a quote but expect to pay $6-7 for one nappy, $10-11 for two.

Caveats: The web site isn't very intuitive, and is a bit out-of-date. The "reduced limited time" price for the top-of-the-line fitted has been in place for at least 6 months, so could disappear at any time (most likely, when Ann gets around to updating the site). Also, her embroidery machine broke down a couple of months ago and she's been having real problems getting it fixed, so I believe she's currently not offering embroidery :(. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, or she'll be able to sort out a new machine; in the meantime, it's probably worth emailing her to ask if she can do embroidered fitteds before putting an order in!

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappy Reviews