Mooncups/CSP info/views/advice

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Mooncups/CSP info/views/advice

Postby sophie90 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Helloooo :wave:
I am looking at using CSP after bubs is born, I have never used it before and TBH wasn't aware of it's existence until I joined here!!
I have no idea what types/brands there are and what fabrics are better, and was hoping for some advice and recs, as I want to buy in a stash pre-birth so I'm prepared afterwards (My periods came back pretty damn quickly with both my boys and am expecting the same to happen again!)
Any advice would be fab!!
Also I'm a tad freaked out by mooncups, and was looking to get some info on them before making my mind up on them, dont want to rule them out as an option when they might be really good!
Sophie

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Mooncups/CSP info/views/advice

Postby moonsunstars2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi,

I use CSP and love it - So glad I made the switch :) Like you, until I came on here - I'd never even heard of them, and at first (if I'm completely honest) was a little freaked out by the thought of using cloth san pro lol :giggle:.

My fav's have to be Little Gumnut, Looby Lu's and titches stitches. I've only tried a Obv topping with a fleece backing and they suit me to a tee. I was always worried that they wouldn't be as reliable as normal shop bought pads - but I actually find them alot more comfortable and less likely to leak (I can be very heavy - sorry tmi). & Hollow Oak are favourites with alot of ladies - I used to have one and liked it but had to sell to fund more little gumnut ones. Others are honour your flo & go with the flo I think - although I've not tried them...

At first they did feel abit strange (I was used to using always ultra super thin pads) and they do feel abit bulkier if your not used to them (although still very comfy). But after using them for one af - there onwards I preferred them :)

I would definately recommend - I've built up my csp stash enough to go full time in them now (well after this pg - just as I got 5 gorgeous little gumnut heavy pads through and ordered wome looby lu's - I got my bfp :giggle: )

I've not used a mooncup before - but maybe some of the ther ladies on here will have some more info

My avatar
CrazyDiamond
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby CrazyDiamond » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:07 pm

I was using a mooncup up till getting preggers, and had been for about a year and a half.. i was also anxious before using it, but soon got the hang of it and didn't look back, simple, convenient, doesn't cost a thing, enviromentaly brilliant ... what can be better.
:thumbsup:

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Haha, yeah I was really freaked out by the idea at first, but they look sooo much comfier and lovelier than disposables and so much better all round really and it seems that the more cloth I buy for bubs the more I want to buy my own cloth!! :giggle: (Clearly I am just jealous of the cute softiness and want to steal a bit for myself! :wink: )

Not to worry about TMI lol, was quite useful actually as I can be quite heavy too so it's good to know that CSP will cover that!

I have had a look at honour your flow but had no idea what I would need and how many pads I would need to go full time (really seriously cant stand the thought of using miserable disposables again!) and wanted to get in quite a stash! The woman at honour your flow suggested I get some Night/Heavy pads for after the birth so I could start CSP straight away if I wanted to, so may have to do that, Going to have a look at the other makers too, as I dont want to buy a load from one place and find they aren't quite right!!

Definately going to look further into the mooncup I think, but still a tad wierded out by it (altho as DH pointed out, it is only the same as a tampon, just cleaner, greener and waaaayyy cheaper!)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:25 pm

My favourite CSP websites are Honour Your Flow and Luxury Moon.
I built up my stash a couple at a time to get an idea of what I would need, and what I like, size/shape/fabric wise.
I'd probably get a few different ones now, before the postage prices go up :giggle:

Never got to grips with my Mooncup and decided I prefer pretty CSP instead anyway. Luxury Moon have a few different cups, not just the Mooncup.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:36 pm

You can buy Postpartum CSP too which is specifically designed for use after giving birth. My favourite postpartum CSP were my Jimmy Riddles pads. I too prefer BV topped with breathable backing such as fleece or wool (rather than PUL) As for how many you need, it depends on how often you will be washing them. I do a nappy wash every other day and just wash the CSP with them (well I did before I got :pregnant: M and after her birth. AF doesn't return for me until my children are 14 months old due to :bf: ) so would have probably managed fine with 15. Definitely look at Luxury Moon, Heather sells lots of different types of CSP as well as mooncups etc and is really helpful. I've always had great CS from her.

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Thank you :)
will definately be having a look at the other places suggested then :)
Might buy a couple of different pads from each place and see which is best before buying loads then, do not want a draw full of pads I cant use!!! :giggle:
I didn't manage to :bf: with either of the boys very long (Zach was a struggle to feed and Leo is lactose intolerant) however I am hoping third time lucky and we manage to :bf: for a lot longer (altho both the boys got their teeth very early and am not keen on the idea of having my nipples chomped on by a grumpy teething baby!) :giggle:

I am clearly going to spend the rest of this pregnancy buying endless amounts of cloth goodies for me and bubs (and possibly for Leo too!)
xx

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Just had a look at luxury moon and looby lu's now :shock: Who would have thought that you could actually enjoy picking pads for your monthlies :giggle:

I can see this becoming a new addiction!!!!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Louise wrote:You can buy Postpartum CSP too which is specifically designed for use after giving birth. My favourite postpartum CSP were my Jimmy Riddles pads. I too prefer BV topped with breathable backing such as fleece or wool (rather than PUL) As for how many you need, it depends on how often you will be washing them. I do a nappy wash every other day and just wash the CSP with them (well I did before I got :pregnant: M and after her birth. AF doesn't return for me until my children are 14 months old due to :bf: ) so would have probably managed fine with 15. Definitely look at Luxury Moon, Heather sells lots of different types of CSP as well as mooncups etc and is really helpful. I've always had great CS from her.

14 months! You are so lucky. Mine came back after 19 weeks, even with full-time bf-ing :roll:

Regarding cups-moon cups size A and B are larger sized than others on the market so the point where the smallest mooncup is the same size as others large sizes so look at the dimensions carefully if you need to make comparisons. I personally find the smallest mooncup just fine but the largest size-recommended for those over 30 and/or those who have delivered naturally-looks scarily big!! :giggle:

Next

Return to Mums Things